Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot - Solid & Valve Pre

shine182

Well, I had an SMX and it had a 'blendable' solid state and valve preamp. However the 'valve' preamp is really just a single preamp tube placed in front of the solid state preamp and in my view was such a suble change that you could barely notice the difference in the mix. SMXs were available in 300, 400 and 600 watt versions I think. Really good heads and one of the classic Trace Elliot amps.

I think that the 12 band series from the Peavey re-launch had a tube in the preamp as well and a tube as part of the footswitchable drive. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

Yes I had a trace combo years ago featuring a blendable pre and compressor if I remember correctly. I thought it was a lovely amp but the enclosure was just a little constrained at volume. Recently picked up an old trace 1153, i.e.the smaller ported 1x15, to help get down to the correct ohmage for a peavey alpha bass head I picked up and thought I might look into a trace head for a more gigable option! 

I had an SMX, and always wondered if a different valve would make a difference. It uses an AX7. The "OD" valve in my Ampeg SVP-Pro is an AU7 and can be properly driven,  as can the AX7 in the input stage.

I know next to nothing about valves, but I wonder if a different valve could be substituted which could be driven more easily?

• Like 1

I've had several Trace heads over the years and the SMX is the absolute king. So many astonishingly useful features.

The valve pre is probably the least of these. @Lfalex v1.1 raises a question I've often asked myself.

My favourite valve pre was in the Ashdown ABM. Subtle but not subtle like the SMX. It had a gradual impact on the sound which felt 'real' like others sometimes don't. 

• Like 2

I thought the difference between the ss and valve pre was certainly noticeable, but not for coaxing driven valve sounds etc. I'll keep an eye out for one of these amps as I think, although my abdominal muscles would rejoice if I turned to a class d amp, there's just something I'm missing from them... Not sure why!