Why become a member? ×

Best Flanger... and why?

stewblack

Don't know much about flanger but I started with a cheap rowin one that I liked enough to explore other flangers currently using a tc thunderstorm and really like it it's really rich sounding to me and has lots of setting options I am still experimenting with it so can't really be much more help 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Don't know much about flanger but I started with a cheap rowin one that I liked enough to explore other flangers currently using a tc thunderstorm and really like it it's really rich sounding to me and has lots of setting options I am still experimenting with it so can't really be much more help 

That's great. I have various flanging options on multi effects. I wondered if the standalone pedals offered anything more. 

I don't use a Flanger that often, although I sometime use one to get an Anthony Jackson kind of vibe. When I do, I usually go for either my old Boss BF2 or my even older Ibanez FL9.  I tend to put it towards the middle/end of my signal chain along with my chorus.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I don't use a Flanger that often, although I sometime use one to get an Anthony Jackson kind of vibe. When I do, I usually go for either my old Boss BF2 or my even older Ibanez FL9.  I tend to put it towards the middle/end of my signal chain along with my chorus.

I've heard great things about the Ibanez - not so easy to find these days. 

45 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

i've got one of these on my Pedal board, fantastic analogue, no loss of low end, you can pick em up for around £90 quid if you look around

That sounds nice 

55 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Boss BF-2 is also what I use, again towards the end of the effects chain, deffo after any overdrivey, distorty stuff,

Edited by ahpook

I currently use various flangers on my Source Audio Gemini. My favourite standalone flanger was the old brown Boss BF2b. Coukd be subtly and funky like Anthony Jackson or go into self oscillation. But a beautiful quality sound with no loss of low end.

Oh and I loved the flanger on the MXR bass chorus deluxe. The EBS unichorus has a nice flanger setting,but it's quite subtle and the nearest to AJ tone that I've heard.

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think my favourite is my MXR117, really gets the Steve Severin tone. My Aria one also works well as does the Arion (use different feedback so sounds more "vocal" than a normal flanger). Haven't tried the BF-2 or e-Lady on bass. Yes, I do have a few flangers :D

My flangers/chorus usually go after drive pedals and before delay, seems to work well like that.

As far as offering anything more, the few flangers I've used in multi-fx tend to less controls to twiddle, they don't tend to have a "manual" knob or feedback. I'm sure there will be some multi-fx that do offer more than just Rate/Depth controls, I've just not had that much exposure to them.

Got an old Arion FX case, Tuner, Metal Dist, Chorus, Flanger - unfortunatly the delay has diven up!.. sounds nice on gtr and bass, but with the eldest and guitars...

prefer a phaser on the bass, more organic, Flangers tend to sound more clocked and mechanical, i know they are a different effect, but have a similar feel...- so got cheapy Wholenote (chord) Chorus and a Phaser - Copies of the old Ibanez plastic bug style 'Sound Tank' range, so the Flanger may be worth a look...

As for order, with the delay last you get more of the same... with the delay earlier in the chain, say before a flanger, phaser, chorus or any 'shifter' your repeats are subtly different... give it a try...

Edited by PaulThePlug

3 hours ago, ahpook said:

Damn you.....I thought I was happy with my BF-2 until you said that.

:)

Well, it' what he used to get his sound, hence why I bought it (that and John McGeoch using one). Sorry! :D He said his was the older mains powered one, but I guess it's the same flanger circuitry on my later battery one.

4 minutes ago, BassThing said:

Well, it' what he used to get his sound, hence why I bought it (that and John McGeoch using one). Sorry! :D He said his was the older mains powered one, but I guess it's the same flanger circuitry on my later battery one.

I used to have a MXR Micro Flanger, lovely thing, but it gave up after a year or two of me owning it and that's when my guitarist buddy gave me his BF-2.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the one on my old ME-8b

You could use the tap tempo to keep it in time, and set a value from (IIRC) ¼notes upto an entire bar. Had to keep the signal fairly wet if you were using it slowly or it'd get lost in the mix.

Don't know what the equivalent stand- alone Boss unit wood be, or if it had all the features, though.