Why become a member? ×

Music Radar 25 Greatest Basslines

mep

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, sounds good apart from all that jaco stuff. Would be good if they could have spelled YYZ seeing as there were only 3 letters, and only 2 different ones!

They apparently blame it on a rogue algorithm...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This may be heresy around these parts, but I'm not a great believer in "great basslines".  There are basslines that fit the song and ones that don't.  Playing straight 16th root notes can sound brilliant, and playing a fancy slap riff can sound awful.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Nicko said:

This may be heresy around these parts, but I'm not a great believer in "great basslines".  There are basslines that fit the song and ones that don't.  Playing straight 16th root notes can sound brilliant, and playing a fancy slap riff can sound awful.

I would think that was the normal opinion, so hardly a heresy. I would say that most of those lines are great baselines that fit the song, apart from a couple.

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

I disagree. Except I actually agree.

Let me try that again. I agree that a great bassline doesn't need to be flashy. Imagine AC/DC if the bassist was running up and down the fretboard. It would rip the guts from the song. 

So there is such a thing as a great bassline. It just doesn't necessarily have to use all the notes all the time. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I disagree. Except I actually agree.

Let me try that again. I agree that a great bassline doesn't need to be flashy. Imagine AC/DC if the bassist was running up and down the fretboard. It would rip the guts from the song. 

So there is such a thing as a great bassline. It just doesn't necessarily have to use all the notes all the time. 

That's kinda what I meant. Under Pressure isn't a great harmonic idea and is not exactly demanding to play, its just appropriate and memorable.  Does that make it great?

4 hours ago, Nicko said:

That's kinda what I meant. Under Pressure isn't a great harmonic idea and is not exactly demanding to play, its just appropriate and memorable.  Does that make it great?

I guess if enough people think it's great then it qualifies. 

There was a time I might have debated intrinsic greatness versus subjectivity, but now I just go with the flow. 

17 hours ago, Nicko said:

No it certainly doesn't. Let's face it in the vast majority of tunes put out there the basslines are appropriate, because the producers make sure they fit in.  I've rarely ever heard any song with an inappropriate line. What these polls mean by 'great' is 'memorable', a much better word to use.

• Like 1