Why become a member? ×

Music for setting up PA

darkandrew

I'm sitting in a park where they are currently setting up for a mini-festival and just noticed that they appear to be playing Tears for Fears' Songs from the Big Chair through the PA to check it. This reminded me of an interview that I saw on MTV once with Andrew Eldritch (Sisters of Mercy) where he mentioned that they used to play Talk Talk's Colour of Spring through the PA for this purpose, and wondered what songs / albums other people have used as a reference either while setting up for a live show or mixing in the studio?

Edited by darkandrew

I used "Fragments of Time" from Daft Punk's Random Access Memories for a while. Then I realised that album is so fantastically well recorded and produced you can play it on a phone in a bucket and it sounds awesome. So no use at all for test and diagnostics!

So I went back to my mix CD of selected bits from Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, Queen's The Works, Madonna's Music, and Bat out of Hell. Stuff I know that covers all the bases. 

36 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I used "Fragments of Time" from Daft Punk's Random Access Memories for a while. Then I realised that album is so fantastically well recorded and produced you can play it on a phone in a bucket and it sounds awesome. So no use at all for test and diagnostics!

So I went back to my mix CD of selected bits from Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn, Queen's The Works, Madonna's Music, and Bat out of Hell. Stuff I know that covers all the bases. 

I've found Madonna's Greatest Hits useful. It takes a well balanced system to get the voice right and you should be able to differentiate clearly between the different bass instruments used on the different tracks.

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

For a long time everyone always seemed to use 'The Nightfly' album by Donald Fagen. Although this only partly explains why I find it so painful...

It was used because it was well recorded. IGY in particular was a favourite of  hi-fi shops because it made the gear sound good. Hell Freezes Over was another hi-fi shop favourite a decade later.

5 hours ago, stevie said:

It was used because it was well recorded. IGY in particular was a favourite of  hi-fi shops because it made the gear sound good. Hell Freezes Over was another hi-fi shop favourite a decade later.

And Trans-Island Skyway.

There was a phase where Eric Clapton Unplugged was going its bit selling hifi and surround set ups... and one of the live Pete Gabriel DVDs (forget which one)

• Like 1

Showing my (younger) age, I use Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World for PA setups when I’m engineering. At first glance, it may seem an odd choice but for modern rock gigs it’s a very well mixed/mastered single that’ll test things just right.

Plus, having now heard it through so many different systems I can hear very quickly if something is wrong or absent.

3 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

So it doesn't seem like people are choosing the music to match their band's own genre or sound......... is that right?

Or are some of you doing it with music which roughly matches your sound?

The idea is to have a track that covers the whole spectrum mof frequencies/dynamics.  However I would not use a Metal track at a Reggae gig.

17 hours ago, casapete said:

For a long time everyone always seemed to use 'The Nightfly' album by Donald Fagen. Although this only partly explains why I find it so painful...

Nightfly is good - well recorded with variety of textures. May not do the job if you don't like the Dan. Speaking of which, I like to use FM, too.