Why become a member? ×

Peavey 215 refurb - grill cloth? Corners?

kingforaday

Hey all, 

ive finally found a peavey 215 (2x15) vintage cab close enough to collect and not too expensive... However it’s old and showing it’s age for sure... there are a few things I want to sort:

no logo but I have spares so no drama

grill cloth ripped and tatty - where do you buy such a thing in the uk? Surprisingly not many uk suppliers came up in a google search... Obviously I want something heavy duty but it’s a big cab, so probably going to be expensive

corner protectors - I’ve seen some new old stock peavey ones, which I’ll go for if they’re not too pricey but just wondering if anyone happens to know of any generic ones that fit on the old peavey stuff? 

I’ll also need to grab some castors as although the ones on there seem pretty good quality, the wheels are really worn down - again, it’s not something i know about, so recommendations welcome! 

Any tips on cleaning tolex? Every time I scrub at it with soap and water it looks good, then it dries and looks like it did before! Is there a trick to this? I’ve used boot polish before to good effect but not sure if there’s a better way? 

also I’ve read a ton of info on little improvements that can be made and figured, while I’m in there I’d take a look... 

So I’m thinking silicone/caulk all the joins on the inside of the cab? 
also seen people recommended lining the inside of the cab, if you’ve done it, what did you use and what did you think of the before and after sound difference? 

90B9C0AB-29A1-4381-B1C3-E8A21A34A361.jpeg

236D0E65-BA38-42E9-8040-1B4316F20DDB.jpeg

DD61C47D-C67D-44EE-8F20-2E705F2A1456.jpeg

58268F44-93D2-4637-ABA3-0C216CED196F.jpeg

As for parts. I can usually find whatever I need on eBay.

Scrubbing the tolex with soap and water is the way to go in my opinion before you finish it.

I have used two products on the cleaned tolex which bring them up better than new in some cases. Armour All or Aerospace Protectant 303.

Armour All is a stock Halfords product and is half the price of 303.

• Like 1

If I'd known you were looking I know where one of those cabs is. I borrowed it for gigging when I first started out. That one has the Black Widow speakers with the metal domes in the middle. 

One thing I've noticed with the old Peavey speakers is the glue breaking down so the dust cover in the middle of the speaker can start to break away and so does the corrugated surround which can come away from  the metal frame. This shows up as a dreadful buzzing the first time you play at high power. Don't worry though it's a quick fix to stick them back down with some Copydex adhesive. Of course you may be fine.

I loved the sound of these, nothing has really bettered them. My mate also has the matching 300W amp if you are interested, sitting there doing nothing.

The period method of cleaning up old Tolex was WD40 but best to get most of the s**t off first with some soapy water.

• Like 1

If the rolex is not ripped after cleaning you could use an automotive product that is used for dressing plastic trim/tyres.

I've used one called "Back to Black" and it worked really well as it has a black pigment in it so disguises any scrapes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That’s better! I finally got around to finishing this off.
6B017DF3-3A13-4E63-86C3-EF917D657F35.jpeg
I used Marshall grill cloth as it seems to be the closest thing here in the UK. 
Put a metal logo on (I already had a stash of these). 
Cleaned it thoroughly - turns out soap and water does a very good job (thanks guys!) providing you use a scrubbing brush and then rinse off the soapy water with clean water afterwards. 
Replaced the rickety castors for some smooth black ones.
replaced the dodgy jack socket with a switchcraft one. 
Replaced corners with NOS peavey corners from eBay... I could only find the front type, so don’t look around the back yet, it ain’t so pretty. 

All in all I’m happy, it works well, it looks cool and still roadworn enough without being gross but best of all it no longer smells of a billion cigarettes!!

E3126F2B-B67D-44BE-8338-B3FEBACFE575.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Looks great! There's just something about a 2x15 which is very satisfying.

Did you line the cab in the end?

Thanks, yeah agreed, I always use a pair of 4x10 gk cabs with a gk head... but recently I’ve been wanting to try some more vintage sounds with old peavey amps and cabs. I love the look of a 2x15 as well, looks like it really means business!

no I decided against lining it for now after reading so many conflicting opinions etc I probably need to research more before attempting it