Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp - who’s still using them?

SamPlaysBass

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Yep I found that I had to crank the master all the way to get a clean loud tone . The passive eq on the CTM series also needs a bit of getting used to . I normally have the mid turned up high and the bass /treb at 12 o clock . I don’t use the mellow switch that much . I just think it scoops the sound too much . I have the bass and treb set high alright 

Also worth experimenting with the mid-shift switch (I've never tried a 300, but I've gigged both a CTM-100 and Little Bastard 30 quite extensively). Engaging the shift seems to move the midrange to a centre frequency that gives a delightfully firm "punch" to one's tone.

(I'd even be inclined to deploy the "H" word, if I didn't know this forum better...)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, maidens97 said:

Got the chance to play the CTM300/810 last night, only at fairly quiet volume.

The sound is absolutely incredible, exactly what I’ve been looking for in an amp. So much versatility in one amp it’s amazing. Tried some dirty tones by maxing the gain and tickling the master and even at bedroom volume it sounded thunderous.

really can’t wait to use it in a band setting and live setting. Cheers to @la bam for the brilliant service and delivery, pleasure to deal with!

if anyone has any general valve amp tips/tricks or advice on looking after them let me know as it’s my first proper valve setup so I’m not fully confident in them.

Wait till you get your arms and ears around an Ampeg SVT classic 🤭 lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been watching the videos on the Ampeg PF50 , it looks like a nice little amp for home practice, don’t think it has a fan so nice and quiet, and from what I can hear it seems to do the lows quite well.

I have one and can honestly say, it is fantastic! I have practiced and gigged with it, it just works, is silent, plug n play and is plenty loud! It's like an SVT classic gone through the washing machine (not literally) and shrunk to fit :D perfect little monster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andy67 said:

Wait till you get your arms and ears around an Ampeg SVT classic 🤭 lol 

I’ve played a SVT VR only once at a festival and did love it and nearly went down the ampeg route. I went for Ashdown in the end though for them being a UK company and their customer service being so good. Never been let down by any Ashdown products either.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, andy67 said:

You're a git lol I had my credit card out there! Must resist, must resist!!! :P 

I don't really like the look of the front of it, that aluminium/chrome control plate and the knobs look as cheap as chips but that's just cosmetics. But still...4 x EL34s. My favorite valve.      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quilly said:

I don't really like the look of the front of it, that aluminium/chrome control plate and the knobs look as cheap as chips but that's just cosmetics. But still...4 x EL34s. My favorite valve.      

They are pretty cheap but effective like Bugera equipment. I work for a college, we bought in 8 Peavey Windsor valve guitar combos and the guitar head version of the V2B, everyone of them failed within the first year. Disappointing but what a sound when working.

5 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I have one and can honestly say, it is fantastic! I have practiced and gigged with it, it just works, is silent, plug n play and is plenty loud! It's like an SVT classic gone through the washing machine (not literally) and shrunk to fit :D perfect little monster.

Thanks andy, do you think it would pair well with markbass 15s for a good reggae tone 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maidens97 said:

I’ve played a SVT VR only once at a festival and did love it and nearly went down the ampeg route. I went for Ashdown in the end though for them being a UK company and their customer service being so good. Never been let down by any Ashdown products either.

100% agree, the guys at Ashdown are fantastic! :D Unfortunately my head is Ampeg voiced. The Classic blows me away every time I hear it and there is good reason for it being the staple diet of stages across the world. I had one but decided that the weight of it was just too much but and this is a baaaaad but, I'm thinking of another one 😮 

2 minutes ago, andy67 said:

They are pretty cheap but effective like Bugera equipment. I work for a college, we bought in 8 Peavey Windsor valve guitar combos and the guitar head version of the V2B, everyone of them failed within the first year. Disappointing but what a sound when working.

I bought a Bugera BVV3000, essentially an SVT knockoff...I feared it was just going to fail so I sold it on before anything went wrong with it. Sounded marvelous though.

2 minutes ago, andy67 said:

100% agree, the guys at Ashdown are fantastic! :D Unfortunately my head is Ampeg voiced. The Classic blows me away every time I hear it and there is good reason for it being the staple diet of stages across the world. I had one but decided that the weight of it was just too much but and this is a baaaaad but, I'm thinking of another one 😮 

Maybe get a V4-B ? 

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks andy, do you think it would pair well with markbass 15s for a good reggae tone 

I've never tried Markbass gear but the PFT50 works with my cabs: Hartke AK410, Hartke HD112 & TC Electronic BC208. It drives them all beautifully. I think the EQ will suit you on the  PF50T as the mid range selector is cool and the high/low switching gives you access to deeper bass response through the EQ. It is incredibly clean in tone on start up, the rest is your preference. :D

Edited by andy67
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I bought a Bugera BVV3000, essentially an SVT knockoff...I feared it was just going to fail so I sold it on before anything went wrong with it. Sounded marvelous though.

I have a Bugera BV100T and absolutely love it! For me, it does Ampeg easily and has been extremely reliable thus far. Yeah the V$-B will likely be my next purchase :D

1 minute ago, andy67 said:

I've never Markbass but the PFT50 works with my cabs: Hartke AK410, Hartke HD112 & TC Electronic BC208. It drives them all beautifully. I think the EQ will suit you on the  PF50T as the mid range selector is cool and the high/low switching gives you access to deeper bass response through the EQ. It is incredibly clean in tone on start up, the rest is your preference. :D

Much appreciated 👍, I’m definitely edging towards one 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I have a Bugera BV100T and absolutely love it! For me, it does Ampeg easily and has been extremely reliable thus far. Yeah the V$-B will likely be my next purchase :D

I dont see many BVV3000s going for sale. I heard that they were just not cost effective to produce so they were discontinued. I dont even see second hand ones coming up that much. I suspect they went wrong and weren't worth fixing. I remember it as being fairly solidly put together though. Not knowing anything about electronics I recall the innards being mostly standard PCBs...but you can say that about a lot of expensive amps also.     

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 11:59, spyder said:

I have been living with a my new Stoneham YI200 valve amp for a week now and I would like to share my thoughts on this British designed and made light weight valve amp.

<snip>

It’s looks wicked cool, best of luck man

Edited by Rich