Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp - who’s still using them?

SamPlaysBass

On 27/08/2020 at 12:55, SamPlaysBass said:

What is putting me off is the initial cost of buying a valve amp and then a sound engineer turning up with an XLR, looking around the back of something like the Orange, seeing no DI and getting his little silver box out to take a line from the bass, thus defeating the object of spending a grand on an all valve bass amp.

I only have valve bass amps these days! An Ashdown Little Bastard, and a CTM-100. If you're tempted, I'd go back to Ashdown - as long as you and the sound engineer are happy with that valve tone coming through the DI to the PA, it will spare you the indignity of the little silver box. I've always thought it's a good sounding DI on both amps, but I appreciate that it is, as you say, rather "Live at Leeds." (I'll admit I have a definite bias towards that tone, as it's the kind of sound I was always aiming for.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I only have valve bass amps these days! An Ashdown Little Bastard, and a CTM-100. If you're tempted, I'd go back to Ashdown - as long as you and the sound engineer are happy with that valve tone coming through the DI to the PA, it will spare you the indignity of the little silver box. I've always thought it's a good sounding DI on both amps, but I appreciate that it is, as you say, rather "Live at Leeds." (I'll admit I have a definite bias towards that tone, as it's the kind of sound I was always aiming for.)

I’ve both those amps, they’re just great . ! I think the tone for the little bastard is just wonderful 

• Like 1

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone had both  the LB30 and the CTM 30, I haven’t checked the specs , but is there any difference 

I had the LB30, took the Chinese Ruby’s out and replaced them with EH tubes. Made such a difference to an already awesome amp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Has anyone had both  the LB30 and the CTM 30, I haven’t checked the specs , but is there any difference 

Nope. Different look but same underneath. Thought I think some CTM30s had a gain control but can’t be 100% sure.

The new Little Stubby, however, is a different beast.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Same amp, just a different box.

4 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I had the LB30, took the Chinese Ruby’s out and replaced them with EH tubes. Made such a difference to an already awesome amp.

What kind of differences did you find the EH vaves made? More / less gain, more clarity, more bass? 

My CTM30 has the original JJs in it (and does sound amazing) but I'm curious exactly what effect I might get from changing them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Painy said:

What kind of differences did you find the EH vaves made? More / less gain, more clarity, more bass? 

My CTM30 has the original JJs in it (and does sound amazing) but I'm curious exactly what effect I might get from changing them. 

The JJs work perfectly for me , I used TAD STR ones before and they were also good but a bit more expensive. I doubt there’s THAT much difference between them . I might try them again , they’re supposed to be a bit more kick in them .

Edited by Quilly

30 minutes ago, Painy said:

Definitely more clarity, presence and volume. If I recall correctly, Merton above bought it off of me so, he may provide a better review 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andy67 said:

Definitely more clarity, presence and volume. If I recall correctly, Merton above bought it off of me so, he may provide a better review 👍

Certainly did and still bloody love it! Can’t comment on valve differences as not touched them but it’s on my to do list ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Painy said:

I’d like to try some NOS sometime . Some RCAs or Telefunkens. Just to see if the hype around old stock is real or if new valves are just as good.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Merton said:

Certainly did and still bloody love it! Can’t comment on valve differences as not touched them but it’s on my to do list ;)

The valves were from Hotrox UK, I was very fussy and bought matched pairs of Electro-Harmonics premium guaranteed valves. It’s 4xEL84s, 2x12ax7s and 1x12au7 from memory. When you bought it, the valves had max 12hrs use - even if that. It was a different amp after fitting the EH valves, it simply became alive. It is singularly, the best Ashdown head ever!! IMO of course 😁

Edited by andy67
Revising the 12ax7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Quilly said:

I’d like to try some NOS sometime . Some RCAs or Telefunkens. Just to see if the hype around old stock is real or if new valves are just as good.

I wonder the same. Would love to give it a go but given the cost and that my amps are currently full of perfectly working valves I feel a lottery win is in order before I can justify it

My experience of valve swaps is somewhat varied. What I've found is that the same valve in a different circuit responds very differently.

I swapped the cheap Chinese ECC83s out of my Fender Bassman a few years back and replaced them with long-plate JJ ECC803 types. There was a difference - they were definitely a bit bigger / fatter sounding adding a thickness but it wasn't a night and day contrast - maybe 10% at best which I found a little surprising.. By contrast, I put a set into my home built 60w 'Beavis' head (Marshall circuit - Linear L50 components) and that absolutely loved them! They made it sound bigger, bolder, brighter, cleaner and really added a new chapter to it's sound.

I've no experience of the LB30 / CTM30 amplifier so can't comment on that but it sounds like it might be a great platform for a little experimentation..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, andy67 said:

The valves were from Hotrox UK, I was very fussy and bought matched pairs of Electro-Harmonics premium guaranteed valves. It’s 4xEL84s, 2x12ax7s and 1x12au7 from memory. When you bought it, the valves had max 12hrs use - even if that. It was a different amp after fitting the EH valves, it simply became alive. It is singularly, the best Ashdown head ever!! IMO of course 😁

Well it’s the best sounding bass amp I’ve ever had, I had one old guitar amp that also sounded amazing. It was a Carlsbro 50 top and the the transformers in it were massive . It sounded great with bass , especially the dirty channel. It was 50w through 2xEL34s . I bought and sold it for peanuts . I wish I’d never sold it ☹️

• Like 1