Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp - who’s still using them?

SamPlaysBass

There's a nice Sadowsky SA200 that's still for sale in the forum. Would someone please just do the right thing and buy it?

I really don't need it as I have the Handbox WB-100 and my back wouldn't thank me for buying it, but damn it is a gorgeous looking and sounding amp...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/09/2020 at 12:12, maidens97 said:

Will be picking up an Ashdown CTM in the near future but really struggling deciding between the 100w and 300w. There’s no way to try before I buy one 😥

I’d get the CTM300 if I had a choice . That’s if you really want to be brutally loud and don’t mind the extra weight. There’s ways of living with a SVT type head. Use a trolley for example, get a mate to help, try and use a car with a low tail gate or van One word of advice , read up on manual handling techniques. 

• Like 1

The one thing with big heavy blocks of valve amps is that they are fine to carry in an empty space, in a straight line, from A to B. 

The damage (to yourself) comes when it's the awkward carry. The twist to get it up and out of the car. The shuffling in through small doorways. The getting past people who wont move. The having to carry the amp and open the door at the same time. The double doors where only one is unlocked and you have to tilt to fit through. Smokers on the door. Band members who leave gear everywhere. Band members helping who dont lift it right when helping, putting even more strain on you. Climbing steps.

If you are going to use one, do everything you can to eliminate these.

Get a hand truck. Work out how to stack.  If not, if people are in the way shout at them politely to move. Dont stop moving. Stopping, twisting, moving out of their way will injure you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, crabman said:

There's a nice Sadowsky SA200 that's still for sale in the forum. Would someone please just do the right thing and buy it?

I really don't need it as I have the Handbox WB-100 and my back wouldn't thank me for buying it, but damn it is a gorgeous looking and sounding amp...

I never heard of this amp before so I checked it out ...thanks a lot 😭😭

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

my one is feeble compared with some of the ones above  , but I like the LB30 for home practice because it has no fan noise, and I’m getting a lot of gas for a Handbox WB-100 , after seeing a few on here 🙂

4675DC8F-198D-4E69-B3BB-AC2ABD4B5CBE.jpeg

What I love about these amps is they always sound a bit pushed even at moderate volumes . They can still get surprisingly loud.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if there's call for a tube bass bash once we can get together - there are people with amps here I'd love to have a few minutes with, and I have a Bassman 135 that I suspect some may like to try.

I'm a little north of Manchester, and if anyone is interested i'd be happy for them to pop round and have a look at it (it's NOT for sale 🙂 ) but it may help someone pondering a longer distance transaction, once we are allowed to meet even in small numbers.

Paul.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cattytown said:

I'm wondering if there's call for a tube bass bash once we can get together - there are people with amps here I'd love to have a few minutes with, and I have a Bassman 135 that I suspect some may like to try.

I'm a little north of Manchester, and if anyone is interested i'd be happy for them to pop round and have a look at it (it's NOT for sale 🙂 ) but it may help someone pondering a longer distance transaction, once we are allowed to meet even in small numbers.

Paul.

I’d happily bring my pair out to play. I’ve never made it to a bass meet so will have to resolve that when the time comes that we can run such events again!

• Like 1

Got an SVT haven't taken it on a gig for years , used a class d for ages , most of the time it's a DI going FOH anyway and I'm ashamed to say I can't be bothered , I don't kid myself the class d sounds as good but it's just so practical for what I do

Edited by spencer.b
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I often wondered could you get a pure valve slave amp for bass 🤔

The Matamp slave handles reggae dub like a dream -

it was designed for sound system use around Huddersfield

Nowdays I'm only using it in the lounge (!) but it's great.

If you can find one, buy it (I've got another built up with a new valve preamp, rare as hens teeth)

😎

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 21:28, Reggaebass said:

my one is feeble compared with some of the ones above  , but I like the LB30 for home practice because it has no fan noise, and I’m getting a lot of gas for a Handbox WB-100 , after seeing a few on here 🙂

Today I managed to get 95dB out of my Ashdown Little Bastard and a Barefaced Two 10. OK it wasn't the most  trouser flapping bass sound ever heard but it was pretty damn loud.  I reckon I can get it to 100dB with my 2 * 15 Schroeder. That would be an amazing feat for a 30W head.

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

On 20/09/2020 at 23:36, spencer.b said:

Got an SVT haven't taken it on a gig for years , used a class d for ages , most of the time it's a DI going FOH anyway and I'm ashamed to say I can't be bothered , I don't kid myself the class d sounds as good but it's just so practical for what I do

This.. currently using a Markbass combo, light as anything plus DI to the RCF PA with a tube pre pedal, sounds pretty good but it's not like my SVT..

After many years of buying the latest and greatest Class D amps, I finally took the step of acquiring a valve amp to use at home and if I ever gig again.

After a couple of weeks looking around at the many options available I settled on a Stoneham YI200.

There was a little chatter on Basschat a few years back about the amp and it was named by fellow Basschatters.

I will do a review of the amp in a week or so after I've gained a few miles on it.

16010409516887145812823668090046.jpg

16010413878565671825308400357575.jpg

Edited by spyder
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, spyder said:

After many years of buying the latest and greatest Class D amps, I finally took the step of acquiring a valve amp to use at home and if I ever gig again.

After a couple of weeks looking around at the many options available I settled on a Stoneham YI200.

There was a little chatter on Basschat a few years back about the amp and it was named by fellow Basschatters.

I will do a review of the amp in a week or so after I've gained a few miles on it.

16010409516887145812823668090046.jpg

Are they made by geordies 😂