Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp - who’s still using them?

SamPlaysBass

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve just had my LB30 checked over by them as it was getting hot , they do a really good job, I should think your ctm will sound immense 

Yeah my amp hasn’t been sounding great and not as loud as you’d expect. As there’s travel restrictions all over Ireland I figured I might as well just send it to the lions den altogether 🤷‍♂️

On 07/10/2020 at 15:48, King Tut said:

What's HB unit called buddy?

Let me go one better and give you a linky: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pa_100_power_attenuator.htm

Looking at the listing again, I see it's an attenuator first and foremost, which can double up as a full dummy load. Still, it provides the line out to go to your interface/DAW, and I see the reviews are generally positive!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Let me go one better and give you a linky: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_pa_100_power_attenuator.htm

Looking at the listing again, I see it's an attenuator first and foremost, which can double up as a full dummy load. Still, it provides the line out to go to your interface/DAW, and I see the reviews are generally positive!

Thank you kind sir!

I used to own an Ampeg B-15S, 60W tube amp, that actually was loud enough for band rehearsals and small gigs without PA support, but unfortunately I was stupid enough to sell it, which I regret much.

When that is said, even if the B-15 sounded awesome, I do actually prefer the tone you get from solid state amps, though I use an EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compresor, with it's 2 preamp tubes run at proper high 300V voltage, as much for a light compression as as a tube preamp stage, which actually beautifully give me a nice touch of that characteristic tube warmth and flavor, and, with the the input gain dialed up to just before the tubes starts to break up when I dig in, an ever so slight touch of tube breakup grid.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

How's that amp working out? 

I love it. Sadly no chance of trying it at gig levels for the foreseeable but I bought it for the long term. I've not had much experience of valve amps, bit it seems very versatile and really comes alive when you turn it up. I'm pretty sure she'll be a keeper while I'm gigging in Stray. If I ever went back to pubs I'd more likely use something less weighty 

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Ah thanks Japanaxe, I didn’t know that 👍

I've been eyeing up these, there's an 800W version also, they look great. The Superbassman is 300W, pure valve (uses  6 x 6550s) havnt heard much about them but they should be killer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Anyone ever try this amp..Looks like a bit of a monster.

https://goughanddavy.co.uk/products/laney-nexus-tube-bass-amp-head

Spent many a year lusting after one, but sadly never got the chance to try. (I was a Laney devotee for quite a few years when I was still using solid state combos.) Quite apart from my own favourable prejudices, I heard great things about the Nexus heads - it seems a shame that they never thought to try and knock out a smaller version with a wattage more practical for smaller venues (hence my transition to valves via the Little Bastard 30). They are alleged to be absolute beasts, though...and bloody heavy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Anyone ever try this amp..Looks like a bit of a monster.

https://goughanddavy.co.uk/products/laney-nexus-tube-bass-amp-head

Yep, fantastic underated UK made Valve amps. I had one, sold it then bought another as I missed it! Now one of my main amps. Super high end stuff, but people seem put off by the brand which is a bit crazy considering their pedigree. Quite a modern take on the standard big valve heads.

• Like 2

Just now, EliasMooseblaster said:

Spent many a year lusting after one, but sadly never got the chance to try. (I was a Laney devotee for quite a few years when I was still using solid state combos.) Quite apart from my own favourable prejudices, I heard great things about the Nexus heads - it seems a shame that they never thought to try and knock out a smaller version with a wattage more practical for smaller venues (hence my transition to valves via the Little Bastard 30). They are alleged to be absolute beasts, though...and bloody heavy.

Yeah 400W is a bit overkill. 100-200W @ around 20kg-ish would be ideal really.  

2 minutes ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Yep, fantastic underated UK made Valve amps. I had one, sold it then bought another as I missed it! Now one of my main amps. Super high end stuff, but people seem put off by the brand which is a bit crazy considering their pedigree. Quite a modern take on the standard big valve heads.

That price isnt bad considering what it is. 

I had one and only sold it because of the weight.

It has a fantastic hi-end preamp and a massive powerful sound.

It was my favourite valve amp ever until I got a Stoneham YI-200.

Half the power and half the weight. 😀

Edited by spyder
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, spyder said:

I had one and only sold it because of the weight.

It has a fantastic hi-end preamp and a massive powerful sound.

It was my favourite valve amp ever until I got a Stoneham YI-200.

Half the power and half the weight. 😀

I’ve my eye in that stoneham big time 

• Like 1