Why become a member? ×

Amps with built in compression?

fretmeister

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

How do you mean? I don't own one, but did look into it. I got the impression that you could load any toneprint with a one knob control, but not delve any deeper into parameters, unlike the pedals which you can really dig deep into by hooking them up to a computer.

No, you cant change the parameters but there are many different presets of how the thing is setup within what that knob does, so there are loads of different default toneprints, so a spectacomp by some artist, or something like that. You still can't adjust much, but the bass effects are different.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

That does give it additional flexibility, but I do find it odd that with such flexibility available they won't let the user tweak the amp toneprints the same as the pedals. That said, I'm a compression nerd and I don't sell amps for a living- I'm sure they know what they're doing!

The flexibility is good, I am sure, if you have an effect pedal, but with the amps you just pick up the phone, send the toneprint and you are done, it works well with two effects, each with one knob without too much faff.

• Like 1

The PJB one-knob is I believe technically a limiter rather than a compressor? That said, it’s the most musical one-knob compressor I’ve used. The Spectracomp is my go to for everything (unless I’m using either my SWR Marcus Miller preamp or SM1500, both of which have full five-knob compressors). 
There are a few TC heads and combos (I had a 2x10 one a while ago) that include the Spectracomp circuit.

• Like 1

Roland SIP-301 Bass Preamp had the best built-in compressor. A great working pre-amp had Becks spilled init and didn't even flintch. I miss that sucker, I might hafta find an Orange Squeezer build to get that Tony Levin Stick sound again.

Oh, and they are expensive on Reverb/Ebay. (as is everything "vintage") $549 US. And that's no amp. No speakers. Pretty tight for a compressor. Never mind. 

Edited by StickyDBRmf
addition

Not on your list:

Quilter BassBlock.

In the vein of overdriven tube amps, the variable master output level lets the input gain control act as an overdrive / quasi compressor. The difference to tube amps is the effect is available at all output levels not just balls out.

Old Kiwi made Jansen solid state amps do the same trick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merton said:

The new Trace Elliot TE-1200, if it ever gets released, has dual band compression on it :)

Yepp, I am waiting for an update on that front too. Mostly, though I am hoping that the cabinet includes a 4 ohm lightweight 4x10 I can pair with my V6. 

On topic again, I believe that the Mesa M9 has onboard compression too.

• Like 2

Since you want to avoid weight,  a tube amp sounds like it would be out of the question. They do naturally compress when pushed. Having a tube rectifier helps even more.

But a simple way to compress is to mechanically dampen with a sponge mute at the bridge. It worked for James Jamerson. If you have a tweeter turn it down. Again, a mechanical damper, padding placed in front of the tweeter  helps. These kind of things are fun to try.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...