Why become a member? ×

Amps with built in compression?

fretmeister

Not that I have anything to carry anywhere at the moment, but maybe for the future..

I'm trying to put together a list of amps that have built in compression to limit the stuff I need to carry.

So far... ( I realise some are heavy, but if I'm doing a list I might as well do it properly)

AER Amp One / Two / Three

Ampeg PF500

Ampeg PF800

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

Ampeg SVT-7 Pro

Ashdown ABM series

Ashdown Rootmaster

Ashdown Shavo 22

Bergantino Forte HP

Bergantino B-Amp

Bugera Veyron

Darkglass MT900 V2

Darkglass Alpha Omega 900

EBS Reidmar series

EBS HD series

Eden WTP900

Eich T-1000

Hartke TX8500

Markbass Evo 1

Marshall MB range

Mesa M Pulse 360

Orange 4 stroke

Orange Little Bass Thing

PJB Briefcase

SWR Headlight

TC BQ series

TC BH series (using a Tone Print slot)

TC RH Series

TC Blacksmith

Tech21 dUg Ultrabass 1000

Trace Elliot SMX series

Warwick LWA 500

Warwick LWA 1000

That's all I've found so far - what else is there?

Edited by fretmeister
Added more amps

Just now, pete.young said:

Phil Jones Briefcase has one, so some of his other stuff might do too.

Cue 17-page discussion on whether there is any point to single-knob compression systems.

Using my Briefcase a lot during Lockdown and the post-Covid wasteland of low-volume social distancing.

That one-knob compressor is surprisingly effective. If I was feeling pretentious, then I might even say 'musical'.

Much as I enjoy my Ashdown RM500, the compressor isn't in the same class as the optical compressor I used to have. I sold it because the Ashdown had a built-in compressor, but I'll be getting another when the time is right.

It would be interesting to know which head manufacturer fits a genuinely high quality compressor to their product.

With regards to the TC BH550 - The toneprint is modelled on the Spectracomp and is without doubt, the best compressor I have used.  I even tested out a few compressor pedals before CV struck in a local shop and didn't think any of them were near the level of the onboard Spectracomp Toneprint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 40hz said:

With regards to the TC BH550 - The toneprint is modelled on the Spectracomp and is without doubt, the best compressor I have used.  I even tested out a few compressor pedals before CV struck in a local shop and didn't think any of them were near the level of the onboard Spectracomp Toneprint.

TC BH250 here with Spectracomp loaded as my only effect, no pedals. About 9 o'clock does me which just thickens up the sound. Suits me as I just want light-weight & simple allowing the tone of whichever instrument I plug in to shine.

Edited by grandad

3 hours ago, scalpy said:

Hartkes often have onboard compression- the new class D 800w job certainly does.

Yep the New Hartke TX8500 has a compressor.

tech21 dUg Ultrabass 1000 Has one

Without derailing and getting into massive battles I always thought tubes are not actually technically compressors one the truest sense of what compression is

Apart from the TC BH250 the other amps I've owned with one knob built in compression were - a PJB Briefcase and a Roland cube. Both were good, quite smooth subtle as you turned it up if I remember correctly without changing the sound too drastically. The Spectracomp is the one that can be subtle or heavy, all with one knob control. I think TC got it right. At least try the Spectracomp and compare with any other if you can before you decide.

• Like 1

Just now, grandad said:

Apart from the TC BH250 the other amps I've owned with one knob built in compression were - a PJB Briefcase and a Roland cube. Both were good, quite smooth subtle as you turned it up if I remember correctly without changing the sound too drastically. The Spectracomp is the one that can be subtle or heavy, all with one knob control. I think TC got it right. At least try the Spectracomp and compare with any other if you can before you decide.

I like this about the Spectracomp. It's like having 3 distinct compressor characters with one turn of the control. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Japhet said:

A TC Spectracomp mini weighs less than a fairie's fart. No hardship carrying that around.

It's still a faff.

IIRC it's power supply only. So that's the pedal, power supply, couple of patch cables.

One of the reasons I'm doing the list is because I volunteer at a music trust and when (if) we get back to it then I have to move rooms every 40 minutes. So I have to break it all down and set it up again. Every 40 minutes.

I have a new cab on wheels and a head stock tuner. If I can get an amp with compression in it then there's only a power cable and guitar cable to worry about. The head can stay on the cab while I wheel it about.

It's all about speed of moving rooms.