Why become a member? ×

What's the best strap?

Pamberi

Cheers @binky_bass - enjoyed those. Very much 'classical' style - noticed you were focussing on the top 6 strings mainly and not so much on the bottom two strings. Just those particular pieces or is that pretty typical?

[PS sorry for the thread hijack - normal service about favourite straps will be resumed shortly].

Most of the bits and pieces I faff around with in a 'solo' capacity do indeed focus on the higher register, there is another YouTube video lurking around with Binky (it's probably a good 10 years old!) That has some lower register usage - I don't really use YouTube to be fair so there's not much on there to form an accurate cross section! 

Band wise - I use the lower register a lot more! We have one album on Spotify/iTunes etc (again a good few years old!) that has much more low end usage. Band name is 'Art of Rebellion', album name is 'The Fire Ignites'. If it wasn't for COVID, we'd have done our second album by now... dang COVID!!!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was looking for the "best" straps and thought I could share the experience. 

Of course, to each his own, as always. My priorities are comfort, sustaining the weight, length and ability to set the strap at the right height. Because of, you know weird shaped bass and buzzards. 

For quite a long time I was into the Levy M29, which is good quality leather, equipped with a massive shoulder cushion, but the strap itself is fairly narrow. 

81kRcawT+-S._AC_SL1315_.jpg

The other main advantage is that the cushion part slides up and down the strap, and then if velcro fixed. That allows to shorten or lengthen the front part of the strap according to your bass' upper horn. 

Downside is that for me, the length was too short. being a bit tall playing low with short-horned basses made the strap too short. I tried to add some leather extension but it frankly looked too gross. 
I finaly found the "best fr me" with the GruvGear Ellefson signature Recoil strap. 

13493856_800.webp

Very comfortable, heavy padded neoprene with a faux leather top. Not *too* heavy metal looking, but the black with rivet is not really country looking. The great part is that there are two straps, front and back, and you can adjust both at the desired length. That really helps if you play a more "vertical" neck, for example. 

I also have Minotaur and Richter straps, wide leather padded. They look cool, but they don't offer the right amount of comfort and adjustability for me. 

For years I used Comfort Straps and anything padded with neoprene until I got one of those cheap, thin Fender straps.

It was when i was watching an old Queen concert and noticed that was what JD used so I thought I'd give one a try

I can't understand why they feel so comfortable given the lack of padding and the narrow width but I can use them happily for entire wedding sets.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had Levy's' Comfort' Neotech' Gruv Gear... The single & the duo straps' which I'm currently using but' I will not be acquiring any more  G.G stuff  because for myself it's expensive & cheaply made... Comfortable yes'  but not made to last... I. M. O. 

Edited by paulo m

20 hours ago, Dapper Bandit said:

Another Gruvgear Solo Neo 4"er here, it is a monster of a strap! 

Although, just to confuse things I also picked up a Neotech strap last year which is nearly as good, which considering it was both cheaper and easier to find is no faint praise!

Brill strap!  Best I have ever used.  The Maruszczyk leather straps are also on my list.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using these straps for over twenty five years and more and still in use, with a couple of recent new thick leather ones for me and two for a guitarist friend. Mark at Stones Music started this business up in the 80's after being a luthier and working in London (Rokas)

so he is well versed in the music business and a very nice person to deal with, pay the money and get the quality..

https://sites.google.com/site/stonesmusicgbbo00/stones_straps

• 4 weeks later...