Why become a member? ×

What's the best strap?

Pamberi

I love straps. I’ve even made a special area to hang them all. 

Here’s one of my faves though which I had made by a guy on Etsy. It’s a fixed length without the bulky adjustment parts and it holds my backbeat pack nicely - the leather is quite thick and quite ‘hard’ which strangely feels super comfortable as it kind of moulds around you and feels great. 

F7E8E3CC-E205-488C-BBD0-13417D227038.jpeg

• Like 2

Why do we all buy so many straps?!  I've got 3 basses, all with (the same) strap locks, so as easy as it gets transferring a strap from one to the other, but each has their own strap anyway.  Not only that but I've been following this thread closely for inspiration for a new strap for a new bass I'm expecting to arrive quite soon.  Which will have the same strap locks as all the others. :)

1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

Why do we all buy so many straps?! 

I've just been through a period of strap GAS. Basschat is wholly to blame, of course. Without this place I'd never have known straps could come in different shapes, sizes, and from many diverse materials. Also I wouldn't have been offered the opportunity to buy so many second hand. I ask myself if I'm planning to get one for each bass just to save the enormous effort of attaching them.

It's a sickness.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

Why do we all buy so many straps?!  I've got 3 basses, all with (the same) strap locks, so as easy as it gets transferring a strap from one to the other, 

That works OK if all your basses are same size and shape but mine are all over the place.  Plus I have wider straps for heavier basses, a couple of basses don't have space for a normal strap so I need one with a narrow 'belt' type thing.  Etc.  Plenty of reasons.  Plus some are nicer than others :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

I put a strap on an instrument and leave it on there. Only comes off for major maintenance etc.

So, every guitar gets a strap. 

This is the way.

Me too, as well, also!

I enjoy finding an appropriate strap. Luckily, I am quite happy with bog-standard 50mm/2" nylon straps so this hasn't bankrupted me.

I like woven mandolin/ukelele straps. Fender straps for Fenders and Squiers (I know!). Most lush is my Ernie Ball jacquard one. I have a very old rainbow one with hippy scarves and badges all over it dating back to the late 80s. My brother designed a custom Hawkwind one for me and got it made as a present, that's on my fretless.

When I eventually bring all my collection back together, I will share photos 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

I put a strap on an instrument and leave it on there. Only comes off for major maintenance etc.

So, every guitar gets a strap. 

This is the way.

Me too!  My comment was in no way a criticism, simply an acknowledgement of something, I think, we all do. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought this strap: PolyLock Ernie Ball neoprene 
https://www.ernieball.fr/guitar-accessories/guitar-straps/polylock-guitar-straps#P04145
which doesn’t need the installation of strap locks. I'm very happy with it, very comfortable, a bit similar to the Gruv Gears with a center band and one on each side.

Also I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Harley Benton Guitar Strap available from Thomann which for £14.30 makes a pretty good job:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_guitarstrap_padded_black.htm

I recently bought an ACG strap, it's hand made in the UK, excellent quality leather, 3" wide with a good amount of soft padding and a suede underside that really helps stop slippage. Very comfortable indeed! 

Also just bought two Richter straps (they have a good reduced price 'B-Stock' section!), they've not arrived yet but they look great and their 'Artist' list is formidable! 

19 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I recently bought an ACG strap, it's hand made in the UK, excellent quality leather, 3" wide with a good amount of soft padding and a suede underside that really helps stop slippage. Very comfortable indeed! 

Also just bought two Richter straps (they have a good reduced price 'B-Stock' section!), they've not arrived yet but they look great and their 'Artist' list is formidable! 

Doh! I just bought Springbreak III, I didn't see there was a B-Stock section, oh well, the price wasn't too bad.

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Found these on Ebay - look very nice and comfy - £15

Image 1 - UK-LEKATO-LGS-2-Bass-Electric-Guitar-Strap-Holder-3-034-Wide-Adjustable-w-6-Picks 

Comfort strap

I bought one of these when I had a 15% off deal through eBay, came in at £11 all in. Perfectly reasonable straps though the plastic adjuster is a bit clunky! But for £11 it was a good buy. I have WAY too many straps now so I might actually shift this one on if anyone wants it! It's still in the box with the free plectrums and plastic strap locks! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 17:32, knicknack said:

For anyone interested in the Ergo straps, Bassdirect have just become the UK dealer. Prices are comparable if not a little cheaper than buying directly. May have just ordered another...

Picked up a Rocket 3" from them today, only tried it for a short time but feels comfortable from the off.

Very nicely made as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a Dimarzio ClipLock strap user for a while, but I have no idea why. I suppose they just do the job and they're nice and secure. I've tried a few different options with more padding and different materials, but always find they're a bit too grippy on my clothes.

22 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Just had another 3 Pinegrove straps delivered today, that makes 4 in total including my ACG branded one. After a fairly exhaustive search, these are the definitely the best straps out there in my humble opinion!

20210403_131124.thumb.jpg.32c5393f5e7a91d0b514d7d0d4675ce2.jpg

Wow!!! And I'm not talking about the bass straps! 😁

Any YT clips of you playing those 8, 9 or 10 string basses?

Edited by Al Krow