Why become a member? ×

Tuners - somebody help me!

TRBboy

Hey everybody! 

One of the last things on my shopping list is tuners. Now, I've been agonising and going back and forth over this for weeks! 

Let me just say it's a 5 string before I forget! 

So at the one end of the scale we have standard, cheap Y tuners for about £20-£25 a set, in the middle we have something like Gotoh GB707's for about £55, and at the top end for between £80-120 we have something like hipshot Ultralite or Gotoh Res-o-lites. 

Now personally, I've very rarely found any tuners to be crap apart from on the very cheapest of cheap basses. My Yamaha BBN5 has bog standard Y tuners, and they're absolutely fine. However, I do know from experience that better tuners do feel nicer and are a bit more stable. 

I'm not trying to be cheapy-cheap on this build, but equally I'm certainly not filling it with ultra high end kit 'just because'. I'm going for functionality and reliability at a decent price. 

Weight doesn't come into it too much for me after looking at all the info, the cheap Y tuners are almost as light as ultralites, and the Gotoh 707's aren't significantly more. 

I find some cheap ones at DV247 which are listed as 'Goldo' brand, but actually have the Kluson logo on the casing - I'd always considered Kluson to be a reputable brand but not sure as these are only £25!

But.... I STILL can't decide what to go for, and I'm notoriously indecisive! Help! 

Mid range from a decent supplier will usually be fine.  While Hipshot are good, it is very much a law of diminishing returns.  Real cheap ones tend to have fixing screws that snap when you are fixing them.

A £55 Gotoh set will work fine.  Axesrus also have some splendid licenced-by- hipshot lightweight ones.  Northwest Guitars also have a decent range, including Wilkinson whose mid range ones are decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Mid range from a decent supplier will usually be fine.  While Hipshot are good, it is very much a law of diminishing returns.  Real cheap ones tend to have fixing screws that snap when you are fixing them.

A £55 Gotoh set will work fine.  Axesrus also have some splendid licenced-by- hipshot lightweight ones.  Northwest Guitars also have a decent range, including Wilkinson whose mid range ones are decent.

Thanks for the help Andy, I think I'm leaning more towards the Gotohs now, from what I've just been reading it sounds as though the licensed ultralites aren't really much lighter than them anyway! And they're still much lighter than traditional elephant ear tuners by some considerable amount. 

Makes me wish I'd give for a Gotoh bridge after all now.... But I guess it doesn't have to be all 'matchy-matchy', I'm sure the Wilkinson bridge will be fine. 😅😬