Why become a member? ×

Shed's displaced the bass - need another one ....!

Pirellithecat

3 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Interesting insight. Cheers for that, and I agree with your thoughts regarding the OP''s requirements. The Talmans sound similar to my Vintera Mustang then - the chunkiest neck of any bass I own. I have always avoided chunky necks but the tone from the Mustang is just toooo good to quibble over slightly more girth. I am also in possession of a Status S2000 at the mo and it has the widest D shaped neck known to man., but wow is it fast as hell... and that tone. So now I am open to anything. Bring on the fabled baseball bat Stingray I say! 

I own both and the Talman is actually a lot chunkier than the Vintera Mustang. Like I said: Surprisingly chunky for a short scale. It's actually not that chunky at the nut but the neck is extremely tapered. It starts out more or less like a "modern" P-bass at the nut and gets more like a vintage P-bass or maybe even slightly wider at the upper frets. It actually felt a bit strange the first time I tried it but I've gotten used to it.

And yeah, the Vintera Mustang is a very cool bass. My Talman is really nice after I upgraded the pickups and sorted out a couple of high frets but the Mustang is a class above (but obviously in a completely different price range). QC seems poor on the Vinteras though. I had to return two before I got a good one. The first one I got had a crooked neck and the second had a crack in the headstock around one of the tuning pegs. But that's Fender in a nutshell. The good ones are great but their QC seems to be absolutely shocking at the moment (I've had other poor experiences with their current basses too, mainly with their American Pro and Original series).

Thanks everyone.

From all the helpful comments I'm tilting towards a second hand Chinese-made CV - if I can get one for the budget.

Otherwise, a MIM Fender Jazz might be good choice - again depending on budget etc.

At the moment I have the PJ option sorted and also a P Bass awaiting a new life (as whilst I appreciate the wider nut, I find myself gravitating to the thinner narrower necks when I'm "noodling").   This might all change if I ever get to play live again but for now I just want familiar dimensions - one in the house and one in the shed. 

Sadly the shed acoustics have not turned out well so there's some work to do there .... or it's a very expensive mower store!

14 hours ago, S.F.Sorrow said:

I own both and the Talman is actually a lot chunkier than the Vintera Mustang. Like I said: Surprisingly chunky for a short scale. It's actually not that chunky at the nut but the neck is extremely tapered. It starts out more or less like a "modern" P-bass at the nut and gets more like a vintage P-bass or maybe even slightly wider at the upper frets. It actually felt a bit strange the first time I tried it but I've gotten used to it.

And yeah, the Vintera Mustang is a very cool bass. My Talman is really nice after I upgraded the pickups and sorted out a couple of high frets but the Mustang is a class above (but obviously in a completely different price range). QC seems poor on the Vinteras though. I had to return two before I got a good one. The first one I got had a crooked neck and the second had a crack in the headstock around one of the tuning pegs. But that's Fender in a nutshell. The good ones are great but their QC seems to be absolutely shocking at the moment (I've had other poor experiences with their current basses too, mainly with their American Pro and Original series).

Funnily enough I am waiting for my replacement due to a.... misaligned neck. I am prepared to have another coz the tone is so good.  The shop had one on the wall which was even worse than mine. In fact some of the American ones hanging had badly aligned necks too. I will certainly be giving the next one a serious going over before it comes home. 

Here's a Picture of my non-musical shed - the reason for wanting another "knock about" bass!

I'll start another thread to see if anyone can help me make it into a musical shed!  It'd pretty much finished structurally but will need major tweaking if it's ever going to be used a music room.

But where should I post?

P1020819.JPG