Why become a member? ×

who is this?

PaulWarning

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

"Unavailable".

That's not the band's name, that's an error message.

I was trying to edit it, here it is again, I've got it as us, the only ones the band name being Songs, but that doesn't seem right

Not sure how to upload it so it plays from the post

Songs - Us, The Only Ones.mp3

Edited by PaulWarning

18 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

came across this song on some recordings of radio programmes I've got, love it, but the title and the band name doesn't seem right, anybody help me out?

Good song! Fancy digging through your entire archive in case you have some other recomendationsxD?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Good song! Fancy digging through your entire archive in case you have some other recomendationsxD?

yes it's a cracking song but looking into it further I don't think it's the Only Ones, I think it's a band called The Songs (crap name eh?) and the title is Us, the Only Ones, can't find any info on them at all apart from this guy has posted some other stuff by them, none of it as good as that one though https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClHoSwApI5_nC3yvafbUylQ

I've got about 6000 songs some are obscure good ones, but not as obscure as that 😄

• 1 month later...

I can help out here. The Songs were a band from Newcastle-upon-Tyne that were around from 1990-1994. They gigged a lot around Newcastle and the North East, and also did some UK tours and tours of Italy. I played in a band that supported The Songs quite a few times. This was their only single and our band (Troft) got a mention on the sleeve, which was cool. I remember Dan (the singer) being really chuffed about Peel playing the tune, which was actually the B-side of the single - the A-side was called Ginger. The band reformed for a one-off gig about eight years ago, at the drummer's Jim's 40th birthday party. They released an album in Italy around 1993/4, which was a bit watered down from the new wave inspired tunes they kicked out in 1990-1992. They were great live and had half a dozen songs that, given any exposure at all, could have been big indie hits.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2020 at 16:22, PaulWarning said:

yes it's a cracking song but looking into it further I don't think it's the Only Ones, I think it's a band called The Songs (crap name eh?) and the title is Us, the Only Ones, can't find any info on them at all apart from this guy has posted some other stuff by them, none of it as good as that one though https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClHoSwApI5_nC3yvafbUylQ

I've got about 6000 songs some are obscure good ones, but not as obscure as that 😄

Btw, the guy you mention above who posted The Songs' songs is the band's original bass player.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JakeBickerton said:

Ok, just done a little research and James was the guitarist. My bad! The bass player was in fact called Simon and he's now in high-profile Smiths tribute band, Smyths - https://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2010/oct/29/paul-morley-smiths-tribute-video

Nice update!

I saw the Smyths a year or so ago, and the bass player was great (but so were the others!) :).