Why become a member? ×

NBD - The Joy Of Six

mangotango

The jazz/funk/etc. quartet in which I play bass recently slimmed down (if such an expression can be used to describe anything involving me!) to a trio and I found myself in the position of being called on to take the odd bass solo or two by way of variation in some of the arrangements. At the first rehearsal  in this new format, I used the Squier Bass VI that I acquired from @Al Krow to see if the whole concept was viable; the general consensus was that going up high for soloing sounded good BUT the Squier lacked a little.......testicular fortitude down the low end, certainly by comparison with the Spector 5-stringers that are my normal weapons of choice.

So after trying to snag the Spector Legend 6 that Bass Direct had on their website (just missed it), I found this on The 'Bay.  It's a Cort A6. I even found a video review of this bass by that Dan Veal bloke, which was pretty glowing and inspired me to pursue this.

And so, after a rain-soaked journey through Storm Francis last night to pick it up, it is mine!!

First impressions - the string spacing's a lot better than I was anticipating - there's room for moderate slapping, and everything else is comfortable, even up the dusty end (to which there is very good access).

It's not too heavy - quite comfy in fact.  Probably lighter than my Spector Legend Custom 5'er.

And the twin Bart's give it a lovely growl, with a lot of bottom end. 

Just two things as a result;

1) Sorry Bas, but the Bass VI will have to go now. Really lovely instrument, but I have neither need for room for it after this.  Yes, I KNOW that it does something completely different from this bass, but....

2) Dan Veal - @Dood, I bought my Spectorcore and now this , after seeing your videos.  Can you please stop making stuff sound so good in your reviews, at least for a while until my bank balance recovers.

CortInA Corner.jpeg

Cort Behind.jpeg

Edited by mangotango
  • Like 6

On 25/08/2020 at 16:39, mangotango said:

The jazz/funk/etc. quartet in which I play bass recently slimmed down (if such an expression can be used to describe anything involving me!) to a trio and I found myself in the position of being called on to take the odd bass solo or two by way of variation in some of the arrangements. At the first rehearsal  in this new format, I used the Squier Bass VI that I acquired from @Al Krow to see if the whole concept was viable; the general consensus was that going up high for soloing sounded good BUT the Squier lacked a little.......testicular fortitude down the low end, certainly by comparison with the Spector 5-stringers that are my normal weapons of choice.

So after trying to snag the Spector Legend 6 that Bass Direct had on their website (just missed it), I found this on The 'Bay.  It's a Cort A6. I even found a video review of this bass by that Dan Veal bloke, which was pretty glowing and inspired me to pursue this.

And so, after a rain-soaked journey through Storm Francis last night to pick it up, it is mine!!

First impressions - the string spacing's a lot better than I was anticipating - there's room for moderate slapping, and everything else is comfortable, even up the dusty end (to which there is very good access).

It's not too heavy - quite comfy in fact.  Probably lighter than my Spector Legend Custom 5'er.

And the twin Bart's give it a lovely growl, with a lot of bottom end. 

Just two things as a result;

1) Sorry Bas, but the Bass VI will have to go now. Really lovely instrument, but I have neither need for room for it after this.  Yes, I KNOW that it does something completely different from this bass, but....

2) Dan Veal - @Dood, I bought my Spectorcore and now this , after seeing your videos.  Can you please stop making stuff sound so good in your reviews, at least for a while until my bank balance recovers.

CortInA Corner.jpeg

Cort Behind.jpeg

Thank you!! he he! and Thank you again! :)

I have to say that I recall doing this review and pondering if I could afford to buy one pretty much straight away. These models are a particularly nice bass guitar - and are still on my radar. 

I can only apologise for the high standards of instrument review. I do actually try to play down the 'playing' side of things in my reviews to focus on the tone of the instrument! 

Now, I'm looking at Cort basses again... You're going to hate the reviews we have going up of the two basses I'm just about to (rather, having to) send back to Cort!

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 17:13, Daz39 said:

@Dood’s reviews strike again!

They do look like a lot of kit for a decent price.

Ha ha ha!

Thank you Daz!

I have been meaning to collate every single review in to one big BassChat post, but there's over 350 to dig through!