Why become a member? ×

Strings again !!! could use some help / advice

dmccombe7

18 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

I use GHS pressure wounds. You get the zing on the g string, but the E string played up the dusty end has more bite than flats. 

How long do they typically last tho. Trying to avoid changing strings every 2-3mths and that's one of the reasons i went down the flats route. Elixirs might have been my 2nd choice after flats as i have them on my Thumb bass.

I've just bought the cobalt flats and i'll see how i get on with them.

It might end up a trade off with tone, feel v longevity. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

40 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Elixirs might have been my 2nd choice after flats as i have them on my Thumb bass.

I have just stuck a set of Elixirs on one of my P basses and am not very excited about them. I love the Elixir guitar strings. They are super bright and last for ages but I find the bass strings a bit dull sounding.

• Like 2

Just now, ubit said:

I have just stuck a set of Elixirs on one of my P basses and am not very excited about them. I love the Elixir guitar strings. They are super bright and last for ages but I find the bass strings a bit dull sounding.

Yep

Bass I got a while ago with them on got them moved off very quickly for the same reason

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ubit said:

I put them on my Thumb bass cause i very rarely use it and it never leaves the house now so they have lasted a long long time. From memory i initially found the tension a bit tight for me plus the hi end zing wasn't there altho that didin't bother me at all as i'm not a huge fan of that new roundwound zing thing. Tone hasn't changed that i can say i've noticed in several years.

If you like new zingy roundwounds then Elixirs won't do it for you. IMO.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

How long do they typically last tho. Trying to avoid changing strings every 2-3mths and that's one of the reasons i went down the flats route. Elixirs might have been my 2nd choice after flats as i have them on my Thumb bass.

I've just bought the cobalt flats and i'll see how i get on with them.

It might end up a trade off with tone, feel v longevity. 

Dave

They'll last me at least 9 months. Be interesting to see how you get on with the cobalt flats

Well not so good with the Cobalts. The G string has an incredible rattle around the 12th fret area. I've never heard anything like it in 44 yrs of playing. It sounds like the core is rattling inside the wrap. Its not fret buzz as its there even with a light touch. Other 3 strings are perfect. I normally use 40-100 and these are 45,65,80,100 but looking down the neck it looks pretty much straight as it was with other strings i've used. I've had D'addario nickel 45-100's on this bass and they were fine. Any thoughts ?

I might start a new topic with a short VID clip letting you hear it. As i said it doesn't sound like fret buzz as the rattle is too fine a pitch. It def sounds more like inner core vibrating. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

SORTED :- Free return to Amazon and full refund issued. When i was on Amazon i checked out the reviews and found this to be a common issue apparently. One guy had same issue with E string on his fretless. He described exactly what i was hearing too. When he removed the string he found the centre core broken. Not sure how he found that out. Was returned to EB and they issued him a new set.

Personally i won't be using Ernie Ball again. I think i'll just go back to my D'addarios nickels

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

SORTED :- Free return to Amazon and full refund issued. When i was on Amazon i checked out the reviews and found this to be a common issue apparently. One guy had same issue with E string on his fretless. He described exactly what i was hearing too. When he removed the string he found the centre core broken. Not sure how he found that out. Was returned to EB and they issued him a new set.

Personally i won't be using Ernie Ball again. I think i'll just go back to my D'addarios nickels

Dave

Result!

• Haha 1