Why become a member? ×

Strings again !!! could use some help / advice

dmccombe7

I'll also put Ernie Ball cobalt flats forward. I was looking for a basically slightly worn in roundwound tone that lasts (brand new roundwounds were always too clangy and zingy to my ears). Round wounds would give me the sound I like for a couple of months then quickly die. I've had the flats on for about 9 months now and they sound more or less the same as when I took them out the packet. And they are smooth which, as a former guitar player then bassist in punk/metal/ heavy rock, is still a massive novelty. If I'm being really pedantic I would like just a smidge more top end bite, but I can bring that in with eq or a bit more drive and that minor negative is far outweighed by the plus points

• Like 1

I was sticking with flats mainly because they last longer and cut down on strings i need to buy. 

If i remain with nickel rounds i'll probably return to my old trusted Daddario nickels.

Had a listen to the Fodero strings but they don't sound too much different to other nickels but they aren't that much more expensive than some i've tried.

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'll check them out on Youtube @Cuzzie as your advice over past year or more as been pretty sound.

Dave

No worries - basically I had them on my Status Stealth Bass when it came from the previous owner, nice on the finger, fine windings and a light gauge - did have some bite to them on over drive - I changed them out to my usual Rounds (DR Hi Beam) defo more nite and you got more overdrive out of them. It’s not that the TI are bad, but they Bridge that gap between flats and aggressive rounds

Just watched a couple of clips on the TI rounds and they sound OK but not different enough to warrantt a change from D'Addario nickel rounds for me. Not a lot of clips on Youtube.

I keep going back to the Cobalt flats to be honest and i think they might be what i'm looking for this time around.

Just the price that's making me hesitate. Cheapest i can find around £46 or Amazon at £41

Dave

Go for the Cobalt if you want to stick to flat wound strings. They will do what you're asking.

Concerning the Fodera nickel you have to try a set to understand what I wrote, but they are dangerous as you won't be able to go back to other brands.

And yes Fodera is really making them and I don't like their basses at all, funny no ? 😉

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just watched a couple of clips on the TI rounds and they sound OK but not different enough to warrantt a change from D'Addario nickel rounds for me. Not a lot of clips on Youtube.

I keep going back to the Cobalt flats to be honest and i think they might be what i'm looking for this time around.

Just the price that's making me hesitate. Cheapest i can find around £46 or Amazon at £41

Dave

Having used Cobalts in the past, and experienced their uniqueness - I say take the chance, they are cool strings. You can always sell them on here if you don’t like them or change your mind, I’ve sold tons of used flats on this site ( sold some today :) ). 

Just be sure to give Cobalts time to play in, as they can feel sticky for a short while. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Go for the Cobalt if you want to stick to flat wound strings. They will do what you're asking.

Concerning the Fodera nickel you have to try a set to understand what I wrote, but they are dangerous as you won't be able to go back to other brands.

And yes Fodera is really making them and I don't like their basses at all, funny no ? 😉

I watched the Fodera official Vid and shows the 3 people making them. Yep just 3 people handmade strings. The vid showing Anthony Jackson with his Fodera and dead strings sounded ok to me but the new nickels they fitted did bring it to life a bit but wasn't too keen on the steel strings they do.

Dave

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

Having used Cobalts in the past, and experienced their uniqueness - I say take the chance, they are cool strings. You can always sell them on here if you don’t like them or change your mind, I’ve sold tons of used flats on this site ( sold some today :) ). 

Just be sure to give Cobalts time to play in, as they can feel sticky for a short while. 

The stickiness has been mentioned a lot on the review vids i've seen so far. I'd never judge a string over first few weeks. It usually takes a few months before i can really judge whether they are suited to me. Even better at gigs but that's not happening at moment so rehearsals def show the faults with strings.

I love the Labella Low tension flats at home but at gigs and rehearsals they just don't quite do it on the growl or edge side. From what i've seen and heard the cobalts do.

Think Amazon looks like best bet at moment. Will either order tonight or tomorrow morning.

Dave

• Like 1

I put some EB cobalt flats on my P for the first time a few weeks ago.

Overall, well pleased with them - I agree with what everyone's written about them here regarding tone and feel. They are not a loud string, but this isn't a big deal really.

And also remember they are just as useless for slap as any other flatwound.  :sad:

• Haha 2

I won't be doing any slap for 2 reasons

1. its a 70's Glam Rock covers band

2. i'm rubbish at it

All sorted then. :laugh1:

To be honest some of the reviews mentioned the cobalts were louder than other strings but the test showed they were same volume as others. It was just people's perception of them. I have to admit when i heard them in that particular review with various others i definitely thought they were louder. Think it was a test of about 4-5 string packs

Dave

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 15:46, dmccombe7 said:

I know we've discussed strings many many times on BC and i've searched thru 3 pages of string topics and couldn't find what i was looking for.

I'm using La Bella low tension flats on my Sandberg VM4 and i really like the feel of them compared to the nickel wounds. The problem i have is that in some songs they just don't carry enough bite, growl or edge like a round wound.

I've also checked out half rounds or ground wounds on youtube clips but i'm guessing they don't last as long as flats 

Is there an alternative string that you can recommend. (I play finger style with 40-100 gauge.)

1. Feel of flats or easy on the fingers

2. more zing or hi end like rounds

3. last longer than 2-3mths like round wounds i've used

4. similar tension to the La Bella low tension flats

My apologies for repeating something we've discussed before but i did try searching before posting this one.

Dave

DR Sunbeams 40-100. Most strings listed here are way more tension than La Bella LTFs.

Edited by ClassicVibes

On 25/08/2020 at 15:46, dmccombe7 said:

. last longer than 2-3mths like round wounds i've used

I am of no help to you as I feel an overwhelming urge to change my strings after two gigs. I use rounds exclusively and as soon as that new zing has gone from the string I feel underwhelmed. I have listened to others who say oh, these strings last ages or these strings keep their newness for months. I have tried loads and none last long enough for me. It's probably lucky that we are not playing just now because it gets expensive.

• Haha 1

I'm trying to get away from course strings mainly because i dig in and my fingers get really quite painful after first set. The flats oddly enough make me play lighter so its all in my head plus the fact they last for years.

I've never been a fan of that treble zing of new stainless strings. I used to hate new Rotosounds (that was only choice we had back in the day :laugh1:) I much preferred after about 2-3 weeks of playing but they were so rough on my fingers i actually burst my the skin on my plucking hand and had blood running down the bass during a heavy metal gig i was depping in back in early 80's.

Adrenilin was running and i never even noticed it. Mate was at front of stage and shouted out to me. Was like a Gene Simmons scene  :laugh1:

That was because i hadn't gigged for couple of yrs and had to do the gig with 2 weeks notice. I could do that back then when i was young.

Dave

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

but they were so rough on my fingers i actually burst my the skin on my plucking hand and had blood running down the bass during a heavy metal gig i was depping in back in early 80's.

Adrenilin was running and i never even noticed it. Mate was at front of stage and shouted out to me. Was like a Gene Simmons scene  :laugh1:

I have had the same experience but mine was caused by nickel strings. I had no idea that I was allergic to it and when we were playing a lot, I had broken skin which started off itchy and then when broken, bled Heavily. I used to play in extreme pain all the time. Once I changed to stainless I found immediate relief. I have always liked the brightness of rounds and the stainless were even better. I just can't get any to last more than two proper gigs.

50 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

What’s your first impressions? 

Not had time to fit them yet but hopefully today.

Will def update the thread later today.

I'm not one for VIDS but i might do a short before and after kind of thing and if it looks ok i'll share. If i'm rubbish i'll keep it to myself. I never know what to play when recording myself playing bass at home.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2