Why become a member? ×

Build Logo

HazBeen

So I decided that even though I build for fun/hobby, I want to be able to add a logo to my instruments. I think it looks cool, it gives "identity" to my builds and it helps people see what I did and did not build/mod.

So a crash course in Inkscape further and I came up with this: Infinite Bass, clearly a take on the Bass Cleff and the Infinity sign. Will be adding the logo to all basses from now on, starting wth the fretless and shortscale basses I built earlier this year, and also on the Modern 5 I am doing now. Not really a build diary, but I still wanted to share :) 

IB JPG.JPG

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 13

The chap who sat next to me, when we were allowed to be in work, turns out to be a rather good graphic designer on the side. He took a scribble I did in a meeting and I have a very nice moniker for when I finally build something.

Not as clever as the infinity bass clef though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 30/10/2020 at 11:28, Si600 said:

image.png.d39a44bd01ca68341e4f909763cd9d69.png

Told you mine wouldn't be nearly as interesting or cool.  It needs a smidge more tweaking, the text isn't exactly central.

Obvs, any comments welcome :)

I really like that. I don't get the references but aesthetically it comes across as stylised industrial, functionality as design, if that makes any sense? It's not something I've seen on guitars before, which always appeals, and it makes me think of the philosophy behind the logo on Nash guitars and the design of Free the Tone pedals without being in any way derivative of them.

Apologies for probably overthinking it massively 😁 but I'm currently obsessing over logo idea for some partscasters that are nearing completion (if the clear coat ever dries! 😱) and, well, lockdown.

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2020 at 13:28, HazBeen said:

So I decided that even though I build for fun/hobby, I want to be able to add a logo to my instruments. I think it looks cool, it gives "identity" to my builds and it helps people see what I did and did not build/mod.

So a crash course in Inkscape further and I came up with this: Infinite Bass, clearly a take on the Bass Cleff and the Infinity sign. Will be adding the logo to all basses from now on, starting wth the fretless and shortscale basses I built earlier this year, and also on the Modern 5 I am doing now. Not really a build diary, but I still wanted to share :) 

IB JPG.JPG

That is lovely. Elegant, clever, and says it it needs to in the most minimal way.

Edited by mikem8634

1 minute ago, Si600 said:

It's really simple, my surname is Orchard and I live in Aukrug, which is in Germany.

The line design I suspect I've seen on a London road name somewhere, or it may be some art deco thing.

Aaah. Got it. Nice. I'm using part of my birth date for mine. Good to make it personal.

On 30/10/2020 at 11:28, Si600 said:

image.png.d39a44bd01ca68341e4f909763cd9d69.png

Told you mine wouldn't be nearly as interesting or cool.  It needs a smidge more tweaking, the text isn't exactly central.

Obvs, any comments welcome :)

Very DIN! I would reduce the height of the top box to match the lower one, and vertically centre each text element – and make the corners more rounded – right now the change from straight to curved is a bit clunky – the latest version of Adobe InDesign has perfect rounded corners – something we designers have craved for years! Looks good though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Inkscape is pretty great but the learning curve can be a bit daunting. Here's my hobby logo, also done in Inkscape:

PW100B_FP_bluestain_2.JPG.87bad9925defb0faba5cdb415eb846ae.JPG

That's just a proof of concept fascia panel for my new tube amp build, we started with  a blond finish but it had a few blue stains in it and tinting the whole piece blue to mask that buried the laser etched control labeling.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1