Why become a member? ×

Modulus Flea Pickups

40hz

Just now, Chiliwailer said:

Interested to know west you think about the pre’s? I imagine the Bart being more polite, and the Aguilar more ballsy?

Yup exactly my feelings. The Bartolini still kicks well but the OBP-1 is the boy!

• Thanks 1

I much prefer the Aguilar OBP pre-amp. It suits the mid-forward character of the bass more than the Bart NTBT. It also sounds a lot fruitier than the Bart, giving the notes a more aggressive, harmonic edge.

The bass Freq on the Aguilar sits at 40hz, in the kickdrum zone. The Bart is at 30hz. Treble on the Aguilar is at 6hz, which I found much more musical than the Bart's 10khz.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I much prefer the Aguilar OBP Pre-amp. It's suits the mid-forward character of the bass more than the Bart NTBT. It also sounds a lot fruitier than the Bart, giving the notes a more aggressive edge.

The bass Freq on the Aguilar sits at 40hz, in the kickdrum zone. The Bart is at 30hz. Treble on the Aguilar is at 6hz, which I found much more musical than the Bart's 10khz.

I might as well just buy the Aguilar now then...why wait for the bass to arrive first? 🤣

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Paid in full to Bass Direct. It was only ever going to be inevitable 🤗

A definite improvement. 

In fact, IME the best set up would be as follows ;

Lane Poor pickup - Much wider sounding than the SD, I've got recordings somewhere on my computer AB'ing them. 

Aguilar OBP1 - self explanatory

Hipshot bridge - My favourite of the Flea bridges. String changes in seconds and a nice chunk of metal to resonate with no side saddle movement.

• Like 1

Just now, 40hz said:

A definite improvement. 

In fact, IME the best set up would be as follows ;

Lane Poor pickup - Much wider sounding than the SD, I've got recordings somewhere on my computer AB'ing them. 

Aguilar OBP1 - self explanatory

Hipshot bridge - My favourite of the Flea bridges. String changes in seconds and a nice chunk of metal to resonate with no side saddle movement.

I’ve been checking YT vids of the Lane Poor and it does sound better IMO too. 

I’d like a Legacy, but seems only Planet Bass sell them, and are sold out, but $250 might be a dealbreaker too ...

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’ve been checking YT vids of the Lane Poor and it does sound better IMO too. 

I’d like a Legacy, but seems only Planet Bass sell them, and are sold out, but $250 might be a dealbreaker too ...

I bought 3 from them a few years ago, along with OBP-1 ‘s. Great to deal with

Edited by walshy

• 2 weeks later...

I will paste this text here, too:

I thought that this (no logo thing) has to be confirmed, so I wrote to bartolini. Yes, they said, they do have produced few pickups without logos. No brands, projects, or artists were mentioned.

It is possible, now we all know it.

3 minutes ago, itu said:

I will paste this text here, too:

I thought that this (no logo thing) has to be confirmed, so I wrote to bartolini. Yes, they said, they do have produced few pickups without logos. No brands, projects, or artists were mentioned.

It is possible, now we all know it.

Thanks for looking into it. That's surprised me!

• Thanks 1

I just opened up the control plate of my Flea and my jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw it has the Bartolini NTBT pre-amp!!. It was sold as Aguilar by the shop! Goes to show though what a massive difference pickups can make, as it sounds so very different to my old Lane Poor/NTBT Flea.