Why become a member? ×

Advice please on Ramsay prototype?

Manwithvan

I picked this up on eBay a few years ago for not very much and it's only now that I'm finally coming to terms with 5 strings. The bass has its problems but sounds fine and I find it very comfortable to play. I spoke to RMI about it: apparently it was a one-off prototype made in China which had some issues when it arrived and they bunged in some cheap electronics to get it going.

I've invested in fret-levelling, but am thinking of going further. The main issue is buzzing: I'd like to replace the electronics. The pickups sound OK, so should I just get the Wilkinson active pickup wiring kit (£65)? I generally prefer passive tone so replacing the pickups might be more sensible in the long run. I'm not sure what to fit though?

The second issue is the bridge. With a straightish neck the saddles are balancing precariously at their upper limit and I'd like to take the action up further. The only solution I've come up with is this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-string-Bass-guitar-bridge-BB265-chrome-black-or-gold-18mm-string-spacing/392757849119?hash=item5b72312c1f:g:wkQAAOSw2jBekVVb

Thereby abandoning thru-body stringing. Is this daft or is there another solution?

Opinions gratefully received.

IMG_0041sm.jpg

IMG_0042sm.jpg

IMG_0051sm.jpg

IMG_0066sm.jpg

Edited by Manwithvan
additional info