Why become a member? ×

No power at the front part

adonis g

I got this trace eliott GP12 series 6 from a friend and when I switch it on the switch light goes on but everything else is dead. Any ideas? I dont know anything about electronics but I was wondering if there is a common issue or something and if can it be fixed. Thanks

15982979132038346595592074051512.jpg

15982979417492270781077583907461.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

First the simple answer, anything can be fixed. How much and is it worth it, another thing entirely.

Lets be clear, electricity kills. Knowing nothing about elecrtronics and having no electrical test equipment is not a good starting point.

At least with the unit unplugged from the mains, you could look to see if there is a fuse or two. If you were really lucky to find a blown fuse you could try to replace it with one of the correct value. The caveat here is fuses don't blow for no reason, replacing a fuse won't cure any underlying problem.

Looking at your picture, there is a large doughnut shaped thing with a nut and bolt on the top. That is a torroidal transformer, if that's gone you're looking at a good £100 to replace, plus probable shipping from the states, if it's available.

That transformer is wired up to a Poundland terminal block, it didn't leave Trace Eliott like that ... So it's probably had one failed transformer already. Has that one gone as well? Is it part of a failed repair? Who knows? Well that would be an tech with test equipment.

Personally, if it's not a fuse I'd consider it potentially not worth repairing. Sell for spares would be my plan.

Service manual here   http://hpbimg.someinfos.de/diy/allgemein/_schematics/amp-schem/trace-elliot-GP12-serie6-200w.pdf

Incoming live is fused, then transformer, bridge rectifier diodes, reservoir caps. All fairly standard.

Check / replace fuse.

Look for AC and DC volts on the rectifier diodes. This will show if the mains transformer is OK.

This amp has been rewired at some time...