Why become a member? ×

Steve Winwood - Gimme Some Lovin' (2020)

skankdelvar

21 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

A bit of faffing around reveals the 2020 version runs at 140 BPM whereas the original release is allegedly 148 BPM. Which goes someway to explaining why I thought 'Is this a bit slow?' when I first heard it.

The original was probably done in imperial feet an' inches, Sir. 👍

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Whats an audience got to do with anything? People don’t normally record with an audience do they?

I said the performance  sounded lame, not just the vocals. In fact i said he had a good voice. 

Anyway, McCartney is even older so how about giving him a break?

No, because he is a pr1ck

6 hours ago, Geek99 said:

No, because he is a pr1ck

That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it?  I think he should have given up years ago, yes, and he’s now maybe a caricature of himself,  but many of us wouldn’t be playing at all if it hadn’t been for him and his ilk in the 60s. The list of musicians who admit/claim/acknowledge McC as a major influence seems to be rather long.

Edited by Baxlin

26 minutes ago, casapete said:

Wow, amazing to think that SW was around 14 then as well.

He was 15 just 2 months older than me and was performing from a young age around Brum.

"The Spencer Davis Group was formed in 1963 in Birmingham after the Welsh guitarist Spencer Davis encountered vocalist and organist Steve Winwood (then aged 14 and still at school),[3] and his bass playing brother Muff Winwood performing at a pub, the Golden Eagle, as the Muff Woody Jazz Band. He recruited them and Pete York on drums[4] to form the Rhythm and Blues Quartette, which performed regularly in the city.[5] In 1964, they signed their first recording contract after Chris Blackwell of Island Records saw them at an appearance in a local club; Blackwell also became their producer.[6] (Island was then a small independent label with UK Fontana contracted for distribution.) Muff Winwood came up with the band's name, reasoning, "Spencer was the only one who enjoyed doing interviews, so I pointed out that if we called it the Spencer Davis Group, the rest of us could stay in bed and let him do them."[7]"

Edited by grandad

On 24/08/2020 at 20:01, skankdelvar said:

F**k me, he can still sing.

And not only that, he still sounds like him, plenty of ageing rockers can still sing, but their voices are unrecognisable from the voice that made them famous, this recording is 100% classic Winwood

• Like 1

On 24/08/2020 at 21:40, wateroftyne said:

Would a more interesting line make it a better song?

100% spot on. I was going to switch instruments in our band a while back, so the singer and guitarist auditioned new bassists. I'm a pretty ordinary bass player and apparently most of the auditionees were outstanding technicians, but every single one of them overplayed, and to the singer's ear (he writes the songs) in doing so they ruined the feel of the music. As a bassist, if you're bored playing the line the song needs, go find another band, or another hobby :) 

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

And not only that, he still sounds like him, plenty of ageing rockers can still sing, but their voices are unrecognisable from the voice that made them famous, this recording is 100% classic Winwood

Very much so.

I saw James Taylor about 2-3 years ago and his voice was still as pure and wonderful as ever. I suspect he still does all that stuff in the same keys too - respect.

1 minute ago, SICbass said:

Very much so.

I saw James Taylor about 2-3 years ago and his voice was still as pure and wonderful as ever. I suspect he still does all that stuff in the same keys too - respect.

Contrast with Phil Collins and Elton John.

Can of worms well and truly opened ................... :) 

39 minutes ago, SICbass said:

The year after the Standing in the Shadows of Motown film came out, the Funk Brothers went on tour. They had various special guests, including, when I saw them Stevie Winwood and Billy Preston. Both of them were absolutely sensational.

Wow, Steve and Billy! Can’t believe I missed that, two of my favourite players.

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Wow, Steve and Billy! Can’t believe I missed that, two of my favourite players.

It was in Berlin and IIRC Billy Preston was called in at the last minute because Isaac Hayes pulled out.

I had the impression that the Funk Brothers formed the core of the band and they backed different artists at each gig depending on availability etc.

• Like 1