Why become a member? ×

Steve Winwood - Gimme Some Lovin' (2020)

skankdelvar

32 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I loved that, but isn't it one of the most boring bass lines to play in the world?

Nope. I love it. OK, it’s not difficult but I love the way it drives the song. It’s only boring if you’re bored.

• Like 6

He was due to tour with Steely Dan this summer. I believe the band were gutted about the cancellation. 

The bassist also plays keys/guitar/B Vox for Jamiroquai. 

Edited by owen
because he remembered something else

Good to see SW still doing it. Loved most of his stuff, especially the solo albums and the Live at Madison Square Gardens album with that mediocre player Eric Clapton. 😉

Seen SW a few times live, and always been impressed - along with his great vocals & Hammond playing he’s also a superb guitarist.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ahpook said:

Class stuff !

BTW does 'muso' just mean 'musician' these days ? It used to be somewhat pejorative when I first encountered it.

Now you mention it, I recall that the term did indeed at one time imply a certain deficiency of some of those qualities which make us human. No such disparagement is intended on this occasion, the word simply being a contraction.

I would moreover draw attention to the plump little dog which enters the scene at one point and pootles off again, visibly unimpressed by his master's exquisite performance of perhaps the greatest 60's British Soul hit ever.

'In the presence of genius, eh? Where's my dinner?'

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Now you mention it, I recall that the term did indeed at one time imply a certain deficiency of some of those qualities which make us human. No such disparagement is intended on this occasion, the word simply being a contraction.

I would moreover draw attention to the plump little dog which enters the scene at one point and pootles off again, visibly unimpressed by his master's exquisite performance of perhaps the greatest 60's British Soul hit ever.

'In the presence of genius, eh? Where's my dinner?'

At about 2:15, then he heads off behind the sofa 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Saw this earlier today. I thought it was quite lame. Cant put my finger on it, it just seemed to lack energy IMO. 

He still has a great voice though, and I love playing this song (more so now I’m playing keys).

He’s playing it with no audience, in his 70s. Give the man a break. He sounds way better than McCartney does these days 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that. I played the song live for the first time last year when I did a dep job for a covers band. I enjoyed it, and more importantly, so did the audience.

Always enjoyed Stevie Winwood’s music. As well as the vocals and keyboards he’s no slouch on the guitar either. 

10 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Wasn't implying you considered Mr. Winwood a muso (Old Meaning). I've seen it used a few times here and thought that who was better to clarify the matter than your good self, your finger so often on the pulse of the happening heart of Basschat.

I'm left wondering, however,  what the new term for  'muso' is ?

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Geek99 said:

He’s playing it with no audience, in his 70s. Give the man a break. He sounds way better than McCartney does these days 

Whats an audience got to do with anything? People don’t normally record with an audience do they?

I said the performance  sounded lame, not just the vocals. In fact i said he had a good voice. 

Anyway, McCartney is even older so how about giving him a break?

A bit of faffing around reveals the 2020 version runs at 140 BPM whereas the original release is allegedly 148 BPM. Which goes someway to explaining why I thought 'Is this a bit slow?' when I first heard it.

Also, checking out the waveforms reveals the bass is just microscopically behind the beat for the intro but subsequently settles down.

This performance isn't maybe quite as driving as the original but (IMO) once it gets going it grooves like a motherf**ker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1