Why become a member? ×

Are Amps and Cabs still a thing moving forward?

dmdavies

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Ha ha... or the sausages.

Seriously though, I'm firmly of the opinion that Geddy's live tone has been a fizzy ball of tat since he binned the backline. Appreciate it may be a coincidence.

That's probably more a slur on the sound engineer (who may have been "told" what the bass should sound like if they want to keep their job) or theres a real stinky poo show signal coming down the DI (or out of the rotisserie) 

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Ain't dat da troof.

The reality is (IME anyway) that the only solution is to walk away from that band and/or guitarist.

Unless he's an 11-year-old, in which case there may still be time to educate/train him. If he's supposedly an adult, then he won't be doing much more learning.

Totally - although you sometimes get moments of enlightenment.

I have two ways of dealing with your issue... -

1. Get everybody bar the guitarist on IEMs and have a talk back mic. Tell jokes all night. Get the band to laugh. Nobody likes not being in on the jokes.

2. Get a gig whilst the guitarist is on holiday and get in a dep. Get everybody to comment how much better the band sounded for not having a guitarist playing like every gig was a stadium. Two things will either happen 1. the guitarist learns or 2. throws a hissy fit and leaves the band. Either way, problem solved.

• Like 1

Just thought of another if you aren't into IEMs.

Give the guitarist so much monitor it literally kills them. Then when they say turn it down, say you can't... because then it doesn't right... and you need it loud so your bass tone sounds right. Works with IEMs - turn the monitoring feed up so loud they are scared to touch the strings.

Edited by EBS_freak

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Ain't dat da troof.

The reality is (IME anyway) that the only solution is to walk away from that band and/or guitarist.

Unless he's an 11-year-old, in which case there may still be time to educate/train him. If he's supposedly an adult, then he won't be doing much more learning.

I know what you're saying, but although this frustrates me, it's not enough to walk away. I'm in the fortunate position to be in a band where we were all great friends long before we were in a band together, the dynamic is great and everyone's very good at what they do. We sound great and have a great time! We've been together around 10 years now, all played in various other bands before that, and there's been side projects etc, but this is the main event. 

So although I feel we could manage our sound better, it's not so bad that it's unbearable, and ultimately some things are more important. 😊

3 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

So although I feel we could manage our sound better, it's not so bad that it's unbearable, and ultimately some things are more important. 😊

What could possibly be more important than winding up guitarists?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I think I'm lucky in that I generally only work with musicians that know what they're doing, and it's a pleasure to listen to them without the need for IEMs (occasionally with earplugs if the drummer is a little on the enthusiastic side).

That is indeed a lucky thing. Wonder what you'd think if you suddenly had to start sharing your typical stages with DT or Joe Bonamassa though?

(Would there be enough room for your rotisserie?)

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That is indeed a lucky thing. Wonder what you'd think if you suddenly had to start sharing your typical stages with DT or Joe Bonamassa though?

(Would there be enough room for your rotisserie? 

If it was club gigs, I might have to use earplugs. Arenas? I'd be fine.

On 23/08/2020 at 13:25, Happy Jack said:

I play pubs and clubs. The idea of turning up at the Dog & Duck and saying, "I didn't bother to bring any backline, where's the venue's PA and sound guy?" is so preposterous that there's really no need to take the subject any further.

Like everything else in music (and most things in life), it's horses for courses. If you only play big, well-organised gigs with excellent PAs, experienced sound guys, and superb monitoring, the why would you bother to haul around a valve head plus a 410? That's not a good description of my musical life.

9_9

Yep, I retired from gigging a few years ago and am in the process of building a much nicer and/or bigger rig than I ever gigged with...go figure.

13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The last band I was in the drummer was incredibly quiet, to the point the rest of us kept on asking him to up the volume a little. His response was, he didn't like to play louder because the volume annoyed him.

Mic them up. Process it on your desk. Drum heaven. Even better if they are small shells. Tight, great sounding drums without all the flab and overtones (and unwanted cross drum resonance)

Edited by EBS_freak