Why become a member? ×

Removing paint from a neck (of a bass!)

lowlandtrees

20 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

Hi

would like to remove the pain from the neck of my Musicman SUB. Was gonna do it anyway but now it ha started to ‘bubble’.

Can I use paint remover or best done with sandpaper and sweat?

You can do this any way you want. But be careful about what you do around the foot of the neck and the neck pocket. This bass, of course, has a bolt-on neck. so doing it is easy, but when you remove the paint/lacquer it will make the neck slimmer and the neck won't fit as snuggly in the pocket. To some folk, on some basses this will spoil the sound, as the notes get a more fuzzy, less clear/distinct sound. Maybe it doesn't matter on a Sub?

It's just a possible issue to be aware of before you crack on with the Nitromores.

8 minutes ago, Grangur said:

You can do this any way you want. But be careful about what you do around the foot of the neck and the neck pocket. This bass, of course, has a bolt-on neck. so doing it is easy, but when you remove the paint/lacquer it will make the neck slimmer and the neck won't fit as snuggly in the pocket. To some folk, on some basses this will spoil the sound, as the notes get a more fuzzy, less clear/distinct sound. Maybe it doesn't matter on a Sub?

It's just a possible issue to be aware of before you crack on with the Nitromores.

Never thought about this. I was not gonna remove the neck!

14 minutes ago, lowlandtrees said:

If you don't remove the neck and you use steel wool (I know I've suggested this previously in other threads), cover the pickups thoroughly - stick masking tape all over/around them - to avoid their becoming covered in a "fur" of steel wool fragments that you won't be able to remove entirely.

19 minutes ago, lowlandtrees said:

If you don't remove the neck, Nitromores can be relied on to remove some of the finish from the body.

Before you do this, what are you trying to achieve?

Your bass isn't an expensive one, but by removing the paint  you're fairly sure to be removing half the value of the bass. So, what's the problem you're trying tp fix?

If it's "sticky palm" on the neck, then this is easily fixed by breaking up the friction of the neck - rub the back of the neck with a soft, old Scotchbrite sponge. It will add small scratches and stop your palm sticking. You can then polish it with Beeswax to put the shine back on and it still won't stick.

Don't EVER use Pledge of Mr Sheen  - silicon "polishes" these make the bass impossible to re-finish at any later time.