Why become a member? ×

Japanese Jazzes

Reggaebass

• 2 months later...

Most of the Japanese jazzes I’ve seen have had the serial number on the bottom / back of the neck , this one has it on the headstock, is it a different model?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-1988-89-MIJ-Vintage-White-good-condition-great-sound-and-feel-/324386546209?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Most of the Japanese jazzes I’ve seen have had the serial number on the bottom / back of the neck , this one has it on the headstock, is it a different model?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-1988-89-MIJ-Vintage-White-good-condition-great-sound-and-feel-/324386546209?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

That's a Japanese Standard. The Japanese version of a Mexican Standard I suppose. Most of the MIJ basses I've owned were reissues of 50s, 60s or 70s Fender basses.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gjones said:

That's a Japanese Standard. The Japanese version of a Mexican Standard I suppose. Most of the MIJ basses I've owned were reissues of 50s, 60s or 70s Fender basses.

Thanks gjones, 👍 that would make sense as it has the grounding strip but doesn’t have the threaded bridge saddles or the strap button on the back of the headstock 

On 23/08/2020 at 06:19, Steve Browning said:

I have had numerous Japanese Precisions and the build quality (CIJ or MIJ) has been consistently exemplary. Frankly, I see spending the extra on one from the American continent as pure waste.

That said, I have tended to go for the US variants as they have alder or ash bodies (for example PB-75US).

I've two Japan-made, a P and a J (currently). Top quality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I highly rate the 62ri versions of both J and P made in Japan - jap market versions, not even the US suffix export model 

the P in particular I just could not put down 

+1

The bass that got away (for me) was my CIJ 62ri precision in CAR. Played great, sounded great, looked great. Why, oh why...?!?!!?!

Edited by hooky_lowdown