Why become a member? ×

Japanese Jazzes

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a nice jazz lefty👍,  How does that work that they are Japanese/US, are they made in both countries 🙂

They're made in Japan but with US pickups was my understanding... 

12 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Someone correct me but I seem to recall reading that the pickups are Japanese made but to US spec.

Though that rings a bell...

Either way, they're decent. 

• Like 2

On 23/08/2020 at 11:59, ead said:

I think the grounding strip is particular to the '62 reissue basses but not 100% on that.  Over the years I've had three Japanese jazzes and all have been excellent.  Currently (selfishly) playing a couple of Japan Geddy Lee jazzes both excellent but at some point will need to let one go.

These are probably my favourite of the various offerings, one is CIJ and one MIJ.  From different manufacturers in Japan I beleive but you'd be hard pressed to spot a difference bewteen them.

A couple of 62RIs

1583447605_FenderJCIJ62RI14.jpg.e35610e173f543203bfbd79a014c01c8.jpg

1074292321_62RInewtort.thumb.jpg.ef54253ef9a3976cb5bfcc79453395ae.jpg

...and a 65RI

1494699774_65RIJ01.thumb.jpg.281adbc947ef9198b0f394a7bd377fe5.jpg

One of the Geddy Lee basses

1743455561_FGL03.thumb.jpg.1135320fee1c2d9dc956d16e2ea59e07.jpg

Don't want to be cheeky here bud, but when you do decide about one of the Geddy's i'm interested 

On 23/08/2020 at 10:33, Reggaebass said:

I’m thinking of getting a white 62RI Japanese jazz , I’ve had over 35 USA and Mexican jazzes  but to my knowledge never a jap one, I noticed some are CIJ and some are MIJ , what’s the differences and what’s the build quality like, many thanks ☝️

I started with a Squier, to test the water and then went on to buy a Geddy Lee.

The Silver Squiers are great value and quality secondhand. They were a superior Squier manufactured in the early 90s. They go for about £300 these days.

• Like 1

How long is a piece of string?

The japanese JV basses are the most coveted. They can fetch quite serious money. It’s not possible to say MIJ is from one factory and CIJ from another. It’s a lot more convoluted than that.

Don’t worry so much about when/where. Focus on the details like the tuners/hardware, and finish (poly/nitro). For example, the tuners are a good indication of how far up the model range you’re at for any given year.

I’ve got a 1988 precision and I’ll never sell it. It sounds great. I’ve also played a few of the same age that were very average. They were all well made, but the Fender principle of mass-produced instruments means a lot of them are only okay instruments.  Try before you buy!

• Like 2

I've had a few Japanese Fenders, 2 Ps and 1 Jazz.  One of the Ps was a really rare Squier from the first month of production, the other a normal 90s one, and the jazz is a brand new 2020 black paisley.

And the 2020 is my favourite, and I sold the other 2 ages ago, but all were good, I don't think it's possible to say that all are as good or bad as MIA, as I've not had a bad MIA Fender either to be honest, I've never had a MIM bass, but the guitars I had were also good, just different because of parts, finish was good on them all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

For anything bass Japan, Danny Stewart @ Bass Japan Direct is your man. Hes a real expert when it comes to bass es made in Japan or the Far East.. https://www.bassjapandirect.com/index.html

Hi b5 , hope you are well, thanks very much for that I’ll take a look 👍

• Like 1

A bit late to this thread, but agree with the other posters. I've had (and still have) both P and J versions MIJ and CIJ. Overall the quality is top notch. Aside from one, which had a maxed out truss rod (easily fixed with a washer), they have all been faultless. A lot of bass for the money. Basswood bodies are light and resonant.......IIRC these tend to be more for the domestic Japanese market. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 11:59, ead said:

I think the grounding strip is particular to the '62 reissue basses but not 100% on that.  Over the years I've had three Japanese jazzes and all have been excellent.  Currently (selfishly) playing a couple of Japan Geddy Lee jazzes both excellent but at some point will need to let one go.

These are probably my favourite of the various offerings, one is CIJ and one MIJ.  From different manufacturers in Japan I beleive but you'd be hard pressed to spot a difference bewteen them.

A couple of 62RIs

1583447605_FenderJCIJ62RI14.jpg.e35610e173f543203bfbd79a014c01c8.jpg

1074292321_62RInewtort.thumb.jpg.ef54253ef9a3976cb5bfcc79453395ae.jpg

...and a 65RI

1494699774_65RIJ01.thumb.jpg.281adbc947ef9198b0f394a7bd377fe5.jpg

One of the Geddy Lee basses

1743455561_FGL03.thumb.jpg.1135320fee1c2d9dc956d16e2ea59e07.jpg

Shortly after I joined Basschat in 2008, somebody was offering a white 65RI like that for sale.

To this day, I'm still kicking myself for not buying it... 😢

• Like 1

Following the tips and advice kindly shared on this thread, I enquired about this 62 RI:

https://thebassgallery.com/products/fender-japan-62-jazz

First glance suggests a 2000s VSP model but when I asked, they confirmed it was a 90s model with a refinished headstock. I wonder if they should have made that clear? Not a pointed question, just curious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Following the tips and advice kindly shared on this thread, I enquired about this 62 RI:

https://thebassgallery.com/products/fender-japan-62-jazz

First glance suggests a 2000s VSP model but when I asked, they confirmed it was a 90s model with a refinished headstock. I wonder if they should have made that clear? Not a pointed question, just curious.

I am a fan of full disclosure always

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jazzjames said:

It looks great. Play it before you buy it.

Thanks jazzj, I’m still looking but there’s none near me at the moment, there’s a few newer ones but I like the older ones,  there’s one on eBay I quite like the look of but it’s too far 🙂

On 06/09/2020 at 12:00, Reggaebass said:

Thanks jazzj, I’m still looking but there’s none near me at the moment, there’s a few newer ones but I like the older ones,  there’s one on eBay I quite like the look of but it’s too far 🙂

If you can get one at a good price it may be worth a go. But only if you think you can sell if for the same or not make a significant loss if you don’t get on with it.

Best to wait until one comes up near you and take your time. Find one you bond with.

• Thanks 1