Why become a member? ×

SOLD Boogie Bass 400
£450
Waterlooville, Portsmouth

I am expecting a Subway TT800 and so my older Boogie amp are no longer required. I aim to snaffle a nearby Subway 800 as my touring spare.

This is not one of those new-fangled 400+ heads. This is the 6 x 6550 valve Bass 400. After some experimentation, it houses a matched sextet of Winged C 6550 valves. Some of the older ones are included as spares.

This is the first Boogie amp I ever bought, back in 1988. It was reviewed in a magazine which concluded it was the 'Rolls Royce of bass amps'. Having used it to tour extensively, I can only agree. I used it exclusively from 1988 to 2012 and it never put a foot wrong.

Twin channel (actives in 1 and passives in 2) with various pull switches for bright and deep and shifting the frequency too. The tone controls are interactive so be prepared to put in some time to get accustomed to how they work together. The graphic eq is switchable and I have the original switch for that purpose. It has (jack) speaker outs for 8,4 and 2 ohm loads and I can supply a jack to speakon cable if needed.

Note that (as a passive bass user) I have had two modifications carried out. The first is to have the DI converted from post eq on both channels to pre eq on channel 2. The second was to convert it from a hard wired mains cable to IEC socket.

It is not very light, it has to be said, but it sounds simply awesome. I have played through it again today and was smiling like a mad thing to hear it.

It comes in the BCS flightcase you see here, which has removable front and back with a handle in the front (as well as the sides).

Collection or meet up is suggested. I will be prepared to drive a fair distance to hand it over if that is your choice. I'm kind of sorry to be parting with it but there's no point it sitting around when it could be scrambling the insides of your audience!!

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 3

That's a monstrous and beautiful piece of kit @Steve Browning which I'm pretty sure I remember seeing and hearing at one or two Bass Bashes over the years!

It's also an utter bargain at this price - especially knowing that it's effectively been in your care for over 30 years..

What's that phrase in the motor trade? - 

'one careful Lady owner' 😁

Not that I'm casting any aspersions mind; this is very much a man's man's amp by all accounts ! 

On a more serious note, I remember playing a Roscoe Beck 5 String through one of these at the national Basschat Bash in 2007 and I was just grinning from ear to ear because the sound was immense! 

GLWTS 👍😊

• Like 1

WOW Steve that's a belter of an amp for that price.

Never actually heard an all valve Mesa before but if my Mpulse is anything to go by it must be immense.

Was just looking at the TT800 earlier today. Too many options on it for me.

GLWTS

Dave

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

WOW Steve that's a belter of an amp for that price.

Never actually heard an all valve Mesa before but if my Mpulse is anything to go by it must be immense.

Was just looking at the TT800 earlier today. Too many options on it for me.

GLWTS

Dave

To be honest, I am expecting the entire Subway channel (on the TT) to be surplus to requirements. My Boogie choices have always been made to capture the sound this thing makes. The M-Pulse is so close as to make little difference in any practical sense. Yes, I prefer this but am open to the notion that is sentimentality as much as anything else.

Happy to meet you at the border!! 🙂

Steve

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

To be honest, I am expecting the entire Subway channel (on the TT) to be surplus to requirements. My Boogie choices have always been made to capture the sound this thing makes. The M-Pulse is so close as to make little difference in any practical sense. Yes, I prefer this but am open to the notion that is sentimentality as much as anything else.

Happy to meet you at the border!! 🙂

Steve

Way too heavy for me i'm afraid. I had the Ampeg SVT4 Pro and that was too heavy. I'm thinking more towards the WD800 and Subway cabs once band gets to gigging again.

Dave

• MB1 locked this topic