Why become a member? ×

60th Anniversary Jazz Bass - Roadworn and more colours

TransistorBassMan

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, jassbass said:

Any one played one yet?

I have (the Firemist Silver one). Very impressive build and they sound great. The relicing was well done.

I got it set up really low and if you like a good Jazz I'm sure you'd love them. The one I played was decent weight too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I have (the Firemist Silver one). Very impressive build and they sound great. The relicing was well done.

I got it set up really low and if you like a good Jazz I'm sure you'd love them. The one I played was decent weight too. 

Thanks i might pull the trigger on one 

Wonder if they are better or very similar to the fender flea jazz

Very similar. I don't recall them being so reliced as the Flea. 

The 60th Anniversary has a Pau Ferro fingerboard while the Flea has (or certainly had) a rosewood one. That seems to bother some people but I didn't find it much different personally. The radius is different too: the Flea has a 7.25" radius and the 60th has a 9.5" radius. 

From memory the frets are different on both: the Flea has vintage frets which I like, whereas the 60th anniversary has the more modern medium jumbo. 

I preferred the look of the Flea but preferred the sound and playability of the 60th as it felt closer to my other basses and I found I could get the action lower.

Just my own experience of course  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Very similar. I don't recall them being so reliced as the Flea. 

The 60th Anniversary has a Pau Ferro fingerboard while the Flea has (or certainly had) a rosewood one. That seems to bother some people but I didn't find it much different personally. The radius is different too: the Flea has a 7.25" radius and the 60th has a 9.5" radius. 

From memory the frets are different on both: the Flea has vintage frets which I like, whereas the 60th anniversary has the more modern medium jumbo. 

I preferred the look of the Flea but preferred the sound and playability of the 60th as it felt closer to my other basses and I found I could get the action lower.

Just my own experience of course  

Thanks 

Tough call between the 2

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one - does anyone else have recent experience playing one of these? I am seriously tempted to get myself the sunburst as I'd like a single coil jazz to match my sunburst road worn P. The 'original' road worn jazzes don't seem to come up used that often, not in sunburst anyway.

I'll be off to Guitar Guitar in the next week or so to try one but would welcome any thoughts beforehand! 

23 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one - does anyone else have recent experience playing one of these? I am seriously tempted to get myself the sunburst as I'd like a single coil jazz to match my sunburst road worn P. The 'original' road worn jazzes don't seem to come up used that often, not in sunburst anyway.

I'll be off to Guitar Guitar in the next week or so to try one but would welcome any thoughts beforehand! 

I played the arctic frost white one in GG earlier this year and I was seriously considering purchasing it....until I played it. I really didn't like the sound of it; it seemed weak, unlike any '62 I played. Plus, I think there was some tall fret issue going on. Could have been that bass but it put me off. Do try one first.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

I played the arctic frost white one in GG earlier this year and I was seriously considering purchasing it....until I played it. I really didn't like the sound of it; it seemed weak, unlike any '62 I played. Plus, I think there was some tall fret issue going on. Could have been that bass but it put me off. Do try one first.

Thanks, absolutely will try one first. If it’s a no go I may look at the American Professional - that has some nice single coils, I’ll just have to relic it myself 😬

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Thanks, absolutely will try one first. If it’s a no go I may look at the American Professional - that has some nice single coils, I’ll just have to relic it myself 😬

I was disappointed, because I loved the twist of putting binding on a dot neck. Good luck in finding your bass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

I was disappointed, because I loved the twist of putting binding on a dot neck. Good luck in finding your bass.

Cheers, what bass did you end up getting in the end?

I’ve just twigged that finding a relic’d (or indeed, any) jazz bass in 2 tone sunburst to match my P is pretty much impossible, so my options have just expanded somewhat.