Why become a member? ×

NBD: Little Blue moved in...

bassmayhem

I got myself a little blue Mustang last weekend. I am no fan of short scale basses, but this one was really neat...

50251331161_1ce847a419_k.jpg

It took some setting up and tweaking, but now it feels like mine. :) (Btw, the thumb rest now rests in peace...) ;) 

Edited by bassmayhem
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Big fan of the jmj Mustang, what strings do you have on that beast? 😉

Stock flats. No reason changing. I have three other basses with Thomastik flats: a P51' clone, a Dingwall Super P4 and my Payson Supercharger 5-string. Otherwise I use rounds on everything; even on my fretless. I tweak the neck as straight as possible - no relief - and raise the bridge saddles. I do that on all my basses. They always play in tune with minimal buzz. Also, the tone is better when the saddles are high and get that "downward pressure" from the strings. The nut is filed down to almost fret height; that makes the intonation at the lower frets much, much cleaner.

Here is a trick if you file your nut too low, or have any other problem with the nut (as I had): 
- Mask the area around the string slot with tape!
- Fill the slot with bicarbonate! (Use the blade of a small screwdriver as spatula.)
- Add a drop of Super Glue! (Loctite)
- Let harden!
- File a new slot!

I had to make a new string slot for the E- string, due to bad shaping from factory. Now all strings sit nice and firm. The only thing on the bass that was bad, was the nut. Bad shaped slots and poorly filed ends that stuck out a bit on both sides. 

Edited by bassmayhem