Why become a member? ×

Cheap wireless systems

Bassman68

On 06/09/2020 at 11:46, Woodinblack said:

As an aside on that, the XAirs internal wifi, for years I heard the 'oh you shouldn't use the internal router it won't work' and thought it was daft because it always worked. Then one gig, it just didn't, it was an absolute nightmare as I would try and make changes and they would ping back, or just happen 20 seconds later, completely lost control of it. Just the number of people in the crowd with phones looking for wifi, nothing you can predict beforehand. I alway have a 5GHz minirouter with WPA (£10 from pc world, smaller than the psu) connected to the xair, and connect to it from that. No trouble since that. I also have an ethernet cable in my bag, because I like being able to cope with everything I can think about, although never needed it!

We had a wireless mic for the PA at the football club working on the 863-865MHz free band. Once 4G became commonplace, several or so phones close proximity made it useless. We bought a Channel 38 mic and a licence and have not had a problem since. 

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to use my Smoothound as a body pack so I made some cables. All were made with 75cm of Tricone MkII cable. They should be OK with other wireless systems but I only have a Smoothound.

This one has a REAN Cable Socket on one end and a HiCon (Sommer) right angled connector to connect to the bass.

IMG_3267.thumb.JPG.6316b1b5551a6fdeb079034507d38087.JPG

IMG_3270.thumb.JPG.723e7eb29a9c67f52075fa5c1c23e7cd.JPG

This shows the connectors tucked into my strap together with the SMOOTHOUND.IMG_3271.thumb.JPG.f63392604e9f27140babe833155fb068.JPGThis one shows the REAN back to back connector together with Hicon right angled connector again attached to my strap. The bass end has a Neutrik right angled connector.IMG_3272.thumb.JPG.19405819af3d4ca15b2ba2a83f20a546.JPGIMG_3274(1).thumb.JPG.53344064e97af540b2306c54f0c16d96.JPGFinally we have a straight cable connected via the REAN back to back witg the smoothound tucked into the ticket pocket on my jeans.

IMG_3277(1).thumb.JPG.7bd3358e42a288eceb9492fb0cc71960.JPG

IMG_3269(1).JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Damn, I thought I came up with that. 

@intime-nick 3D-printed some holders. Pictures here:

I've been using a mobile phone pouch on the bottom end of my strap to hold the transmitter for years, it works well for basses such as Bass Collection where the transmitter doesn't fit very well in the jack socket.

3 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Sorry bud, me too, had my smoothound for years and I use the same setup when plugging into my Yamaha (edge mounted barrel jack, kept falling out when plugged in directly)

Equally with most of my gigging basses being SR ibanezes, the bug type connection isn't much use. And it always used to have a flappy plug too before I had it fixed.