Why become a member? ×

Cheap wireless systems

Bassman68

So during lockdown I decided to treat myself to one of these cheap wireless systems for use around the house for practice purposes.

After a quick look on ebay, I bought a 'Lekato ws-50' system, and very impressive was it for a couple of months.....Then I used it at a socially distanced get together with a few band mates, where it worked just fine. Unfortunately the next time I went to use it, it had packed up?

The lights were both on, the receiver was receiving the transmitter, I tried all four channels, yet nothing from the amp?

"Oh well, it was only cheap.....I'll get another one?"

This time I went for a 'Ammoon' system, which I had read about on this very forum?

IT'S ONLY HAPPENED AGAIN!

Anyone else experienced any trouble with these systems or am I doing something wrong?

The system is stored in its box & charged before use (well, when the red light comes on?)

The thing you're doing wrong is buying cheap stuff and expecting it to function properly or for a reasonable amount of time 😉Most are the same bit of rubbish Chinese kit rebranded and brought in by a box shifter.

Spend a few quid extra and get something from a dealer who will support both the product and you in these situations. They won't exist in the future if we're not careful....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 21/08/2020 at 13:13, Bassman68 said:

So during lockdown I decided to treat myself to one of these cheap wireless systems for use around the house for practice purposes.

After a quick look on ebay, I bought a 'Lekato ws-50' system, and very impressive was it for a couple of months.....Then I used it at a socially distanced get together with a few band mates, where it worked just fine. Unfortunately the next time I went to use it, it had packed up?

The lights were both on, the receiver was receiving the transmitter, I tried all four channels, yet nothing from the amp?

"Oh well, it was only cheap.....I'll get another one?"

This time I went for a 'Ammoon' system, which I had read about on this very forum?

IT'S ONLY HAPPENED AGAIN!

Anyone else experienced any trouble with these systems or am I doing something wrong?

The system is stored in its box & charged before use (well, when the red light comes on?)

curious the same thing happened twice. 

So am I?

I don't consider myself totally inept with gear & electronics, I've been playing for nearly 40 years...

The only thing I keep thinking of, is the fact that I use active basses? Are the pre-amps overloading the transmitter? I don't over do the eq, so nothing is ever maxed out?

Over the pandemic, I've been playing my Alembic, various Warwick & Musicman basses & my Status.

My practice set-up has been bass into wireless, receiver plugged into multi-effects with a feed from either IPad or laptop to provide practice tracks etc. with headphones/monitors being fed from the multi-effects (either a Boss gt6b or a Zoom b3n).

The only other changes to that have been any full band practices where I've taken a lead from the effects into an amp?

So no rocket science there?

Even transporting the system, I found a pouch that was the same size as the box, so I removed the foam from the packaging & placed that in the pouch, so kept the radio system safe in my gigbag..

I really liked the convenience of a floor mounted receiver & little more than a jackplug in my bass, as opposed to the transmitter pack of my sennheiser system that I use for 'big gigs'.

I just can't get over the fact that two of these little systems have given up the ghost after little more than two months usage each?

As stated in my original post both units take a charge, they appear to link/sync to each other, yet nothing seems to be being sent from the receiver?

I managed to get a 'bleep' tone, plugged into an amp, with the receiver plugged direct & then switching off the transmitter, holding the sync button down & turning the transmitter back on, but on plugging into a bass, nothing?

The Ebay seller of the Lekato doesn't exist anymore & the Ammoon seller want's a video of me demonstrating the problem!

So I don't think I'll have any joy there?

Definitely take a quick video with your phone for the ammoon seller. I've done this and been sent replacements with sellers. Takes seconds. 

Guitarist I worked with used one of these generic affordable wireless bugs for at least 35 gigs before lockdown and never experienced any issues. 

11 hours ago, Bassman68 said:

I managed to get a 'bleep' tone, plugged into an amp, with the receiver plugged direct & then switching off the transmitter, holding the sync button down & turning the transmitter back on, but on plugging into a bass, nothing?

Are you sure you are doing it right?

With my Ammoon it's dead simple, switch on transmitter THEN receiver, let them pair and then use it like a lead.

Could be the 2.4ghz band is congested in your area at the times when it isn't working? It's a busy part of the RF spectrum these days with WiFi/smart home devices etc. That's the downside of the cheaper technology relative to pro RF solutions. The Ammoon website does say it only works with passive or piezo instruments, but an active bass still shouldn't cause damage .

Edited by TwoTimesBass
'shouldn't

I got a relatively cheap Xvive last year. Used quite a bit at first, even gigged with it. I then got a Boss WL-20L. I must admit i didnt notice much difference at first, but when i got a new cab i tried it at home. I used the Xvive and as soft low notes were dying out i could hear a buzz. I thought it was speaker rattle but couldn’t pin in down. I had a cab that did this in the past.

I swapped to the Boss and the noise went away. Used a cable and it was still fine. Back to the Xvive and the buzz came back. 

Obviously this is in a dead quite room with me sitting in front of the rig, but it was quite noticeable once i had heard it for the first time. I borrowed my guitarists Xvive at a rehearsal and that too had this issue. Quite noticeable at loud volumes. 

The Xvive is fine for messing about at home, in fact its perfect as the Boss doesnt have an on/off switch, but i dont think ill be using it for gigs anymore. 

I have one of the Line 6 Relay  G75 doobrits.  Awesome piece of kit. No trouble with active or passive.  No latency that i can hear either

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/line-6-relay-g75

50 quid cheaper on Amazon, but they only have one left

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relay-Wireless-System-f-Gitarre-Bass/dp/B00SMKN2Q4

2 minutes ago, Aalin said:

Xvive is not a good solution. Once the battery is off, you cannot change it, and you can put your xvive to the trash. Prefer units with screws that can let you be abble to open it and change the battery.

Xvive seems to be a good solution for the many that use them. Hardly a big issue considering how long they will last. 

35 minutes ago, Aalin said:

Xvive is not a good solution. Once the battery is off, you cannot change it, and you can put your xvive to the trash. Prefer units with screws that can let you be abble to open it and change the battery.

That is why I didn't go for the boss WL20s that seemed pretty good otherwise. At least with the animoon and the like they are very cheap.

I bought these from eBay for about £25 and they work flawlessly. I've gigged them a dozen times or so before lockdown, and used them for probably 50 or more practices. They last for hours, have a ridiculous range, zero noticeable latency, and just work. I don't see the point in spending hundreds on a wireless system when you'd be hard pressed to find anything that would work any better. 

IMG_20200903_152226.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is why I didn't go for the boss WL20s that seemed pretty good otherwise. At least with the animoon and the like they are very cheap.

If the sound is inferior (and it will be) then I can’t see the advantage other that cost, and it’s not like the batteries are going to die within a year or two.