Why become a member? ×

Bridge quandry - BBOT quality?

TRBboy

Hi folks, 

I'm sure everyone's getting bored of my questions this week, anyway here's another for you:

For my build (5 string, 18mm spacing) I'm set on a 'traditional' style bridge (aka BBOT). I was looking to the Gotoh 205b-5, which you can get for about £52. However, there are bog standard Chinese BBOT bridges with the right spacing for around £15.... So is it worth paying the extra for the Gotoh, or will the difference be unnoticeable?

I do like that the Gotoh has brass sales and the little groves for the height adjustment screws to stop it wandering, and maybe..... Well maybe I just need to stop being a tight ar53. 😂

205B-5-C.jpg

Screenshot_20200821_112940_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by TRBboy

Difficult to tell from the tiny photo of the cheaper bridge, but IMO the important difference between the two is the presence of grooves in the base plate of the Gotoh bridge designed to prevent lateral movement of the saddles. If you think that is worth paying extra for then go for it.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

Just now, BigRedX said:

Difficult to tell from the tiny photo of the cheaper bridge, but IMO the important difference between the two is the presence of gloves in the base plate of the Gotoh bridge designed to prevent lateral movement of the saddles. If you think that is worth paying extra for then go for it.

That’s exactly my thoughts too,.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

I would LOVE to go for one of the Wilkinson bridges as I've used them before and think they're great for the money. Sadly they only do the 5 string model in 19mm spacing, and I'm set on 18mm.

9 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

I have a bass with a Gotoh BBOT style bridge. I feel it is superior to other BBOTs I have had in the past, to the point that I have kept it on for years despite really not liking that style of bridge.

Not massively helpful, I know but my vote would be for the Gotoh at any rate.

No that's hugely helpful, thanks for sharing your experience! 

Bridges are funny things, nearly everyone I know who understands engineering tells me that all of the alleged improvements over the basic BBOT design and materials should make very little if any difference to tone, sustain in the grand scheme of things (all other things being equal in terms of structural integrity and dimensions). But I agonise over bridges, whilst my cognitive/executive brain tells me I shouldn't, my emotional brain appears to believe firmly that the magic bullet of tone is the bridge.

Call it cognitive dissonance or a placebo effect, but I'd buy the Gotoh. Unless I could find something more expensive :)

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Bridges are funny things, nearly everyone I know who understands engineering tells me that all of the alleged improvements over the basic BBOT design and materials should make very little if any difference to tone, sustain in the grand scheme of things (all other things being equal in terms of structural integrity and dimensions). But I agonise over bridges, whilst my cognitive/executive brain tells me I shouldn't, my emotional brain appears to believe firmly that the magic bullet of tone is the bridge.

Call it cognitive dissonance or a placebo effect, but I'd buy the Gotoh. Unless I could find something more expensive :)

Unless I could something more expensive...............................

that's fab

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

I would LOVE to go for one of the Wilkinson bridges as I've used them before and think they're great for the money. Sadly they only do the 5 string model in 19mm spacing, and I'm set on 18mm.

I am a big fan of these bridges and have used a few if them.

I ordered one without realizing that my newly acquired Bacchus has 18mm spaced strings. It's arrived and actually appears to be 18mm. Exactly the same size etc. to the one I removed but much better quality. Best £13.11 I ever spent.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

I am a big fan of these bridges and have used a few if them.

I ordered one without realizing that my newly acquired Bacchus has 18mm spaced strings. It's arrived and actually appears to be 18mm. Exactly the same size etc. to the one I removed but much better quality. Best £13.11 I ever spent.

Thats interesting...  Have you measured it at that, or does it just look about the same? Would definitely be interested to know! 😊👍

29 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You can have this for free TRBboy but I think it might be closer to 17mm spacing? It's a decent bridge :)

image.png.97130f60c15b5bfd7098bba771a36c61.png

Thanks for the kind offer mate, but if its 17mm I'm going to have to pass. 

Have just ordered and paid for my custom pickups based on 18mm spacing, so I definitely need the bridge to be right now! 😂

3 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Thats interesting...  Have you measured it at that, or does it just look about the same? Would definitely be interested to know! 😊👍

When I got it I compared to the one already fitted and it looked exactly right so it is now fitted. I does appear to be 18mm as I've measured the one I removed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

When I got it I compared to the one already fitted and it looked exactly right so it is now fitted. I does appear to be 18mm as I've measured the one I removed.

Okay cool, thanks. Very strange though because all the literature states 19mm, and their diagram! I may take a punt and order one online, and return it if it's not suitable. Will let you know how I get on if I do. 

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

IMO the important difference between the two is the presence of grooves in the base plate of the Gotoh bridge designed to prevent lateral movement of the saddles. If you think that is worth paying extra for then go for it.

For me this is the most important aspect of modern bridge design, sets these bridges apart from the traditional BBOT 

• Like 1

I think JHS might have the specs wrong as I had one of these on a Squier VM 5 string P Bass and a Harley Benton 5 string PJ, both 18mm string spacing.

The Bacchus I have just fitted one to is definitely 18mm, confirm by Deviser, so not sure what is going on with the Wilkinson specs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

I think JHS might have the specs wrong as I had one of these on a Squier VM 5 string P Bass and a Harley Benton 5 string PJ, both 18mm string spacing.

The Bacchus I have just fitted one to is definitely 18mm, confirm by Deviser, so not sure what is going on with the Wilkinson specs.

Oh cool, weird though isn't it?! People buying one to replace a 19mm spaced bridge may be disappointed....

Well, I'll get one ordered then, that will save £40 or so!