Why become a member? ×

Flying...

JonesTheCat

So, I'm currently based in New Zealand but am returning to the UK towards the end of the year. I have a very cheap acoustic bass out here that does now have some sentimental value to me. I've got plenty of luggage allowance, but currently no case, which brings me to the point. 

Would I be mad to try and fly with anything other than a full hard case? Acoustic bass cases seem to be quite hard to come by out here, would attempting to cardboard box or use a padded soft bag be a false economy? I suspect it might be...

I wouldn't recommend it. Seeing how luggage is treated in general, I would be worried even if it was in a flight case. If it's valuable to you, pay extra as hand luggage or, if not allowed more than one item, find a way to put the contents of your hand luggage in the hold and have just the bass as hand luggage. Absolutely don't risk it.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 2

Whenever I sell a bass or guitar online that has to be sent by courier, of it doesn’t include a case, the first thing I do is, using wrapped cable ties, strap a length of 2x1 wood over the strings from bridge to headstock.  Then use whatever other packing I have - lots of bubble wrap and heavy cardboard.  I’ve never had a breakage yet.

But search YouTube for the vid “United breaks guitars”......

Edited by Baxlin

• 2 weeks later...