Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 gen 2 review

jonnybass

A couple of weeks ago I ordered myself a sire v7 five string. The idea being that I needed a backup bass when I didn’t feel comfy taking out my ACG recurve 5. I currently work with two bands, a covers band, doing most styles (but allot of disco and soul) and an originals band (5 piece zappaesque proggy stuff). 

this week I had rehearsals with both bands so took the sire along to give it a run. Wow what a bass..feels comfy, although after 2.5 hours wearing it with no break, it’s heavier than my ACG. The main thing was the sound, the preamp is very flexible but totally musical, clear across the range, varying the sound between soul deep thump and articulate modern zing was no problem.  Love the rolled fingerboard, the neck shape is chunkier than I prefer but I’ll get used to that.

the down side? The tuners...not the easiest to tune, but stable enough. They are Heavy so on a five they bring the neck down a little. I also don’t like where the passive tone knob is, too easy to turn down the volume accidentally. Overall what a bass, comfy, it’s going to need minimal mods to make it absolutely killer for me, and I haven’t even restrung it yet and set it up for my preferences. If you are thinking about a sire and weight isn’t an issue for you, I’d say go for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I picked up the same bass on eBay recently ,  and for the price it’s fantastic .

I have had quite a few high end basses in my time , but as  for the sound it’s 

as good as anything I've owned .Already on the lookout for a 4 string version as well ...John 

DEEB44A1-BBCF-4746-A9A8-D8A00B2F7277.jpeg

Edited by haimesy
  • Like 6

On 21/08/2020 at 08:05, jonnybass said:

Wow what a bass..feels comfy, although after 2.5 hours wearing it with no break, it’s heavier than my ACG.

Was it not heavier than the ACG before the rehearsal? Was it finger dirt in the string windings and sweat everywhere that lent it the extra gravitas?

🙃

Edited by therealting
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2020 at 13:08, haimesy said:

I picked up the same bass on eBay recently ,  and for the price it’s fantastic .

I have had quite a few high end basses in my time , but as  for the sound it’s 

as good as anything I've owned .Already on the lookout for a 4 string version as well ...John 

DEEB44A1-BBCF-4746-A9A8-D8A00B2F7277.jpeg

What is the B string like on that? I've never understood why some manufacturers make 5er's with only 20 frets, and not a minimum of 22 frets...

On 07/09/2020 at 20:32, uk_lefty said:

If they did that design in full scale I'd be tempted. It looks great but I just don't see the short scale attraction I'm afraid. 

:) Horses for courses, if I did not need another bass like I need a <insert> phrase of choice </insert> I would be very temped :)

• Like 1