Why become a member? ×

Fender American Professional II Bass

Eldon Tyrell

Hi there. I am still looking for a Motown bass. I guess a Fender P would fit the bill. Next year is the 70th anniversary of the P bass (and 30 years since Leo Fender passed away), so I thought that would be the right time. I did some digging and found out that there will be a new Fender American Professional II bass coming later this year (probably October). Over at TB, I found the following info about colours:

“Precision colors: Miami Blue, Dark Knight, Oly White, Mystic Surf Green, 3 Color Sunburst, Black, Mercury

Jazz colors: Dark Knight, Miami Blue, Mercury, Roasted Pine, Mystic Surf Green, 3 Color Sunburst & Oly White”

“Dark knight” sounds cool to me. Maybe a stealth version or something that looks like the Duff McKagan bass (without the painted neck)?

Some more digging revealed that one UK retailer already has one of the new Ps listed (in the usual black though).

Info from the website revealing the new pickup: “The American Professional II Precision Bass® draws from more than sixty years of innovation, inspiration and evolution to meet the demands of today’s working player. The ’63 P Bass profile neck now sports smooth rolled fingerboard edges, a “Super-Natural” satin finish and a newly sculpted neck heel for a supremely comfortable feel and easy access to the upper register. The new V-Mod II Precision Bass split-coil pickup is more articulate than ever while delivering the punch and growl the P Bass is known for. The American Pro II Precision Bass delivers instant familiarity and sonic versatility you’ll feel and hear right away, with broad ranging improvements that add up to nothing less than a new standard for professional instruments.”

https://www.musicroom.com/product/fnd0193932706/fender-american-professional-ii-precision-bass-black.aspx

Will definitely check it out when it gets released. What do you think?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Sounds expensive..

Mercury? Anthracite type grey / gray?

Agree. A bit expensive. Price is more like for the Ultra. I guess it is the usual strategy: new name, a few minor changes and a price increase 😎 If the new pickup is the USP, then I won't be too tempted as I already have the Fender pure vintage 63 pickup for that project.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/08/2020 at 13:07, Eldon Tyrell said:

“Dark knight” sounds cool to me. Maybe a stealth version or something that looks like the Duff McKagan bass (without the painted neck)?

Well, "dark knight" is actually "dark night" and not a stealth/all black bass at all. Turns out to be a metallic blue one with a black pickguard  😒

Speaking of an all black bass, I am still tempting by this one that ticks a lot of boxes. Just a shame it is called "surveyor"

259937606_ESPLTDSurveyor87.thumb.jpg.040781a7a4ce30000a112ffde260b497.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Update: Official launch of the Pro II today. New features: newly sculptured neck heel, updated pickup and some new colours. Well, not exactly impressed. I am still looking for my Motown bass but the Pro II won't be it. I guess I'll wait until the 70th anniversary P bass gets released next year (if there will be one). Alternatively, I will probably just get a used Standard or Pro and put the Fender Pure Vintage 63 pickup in it.

Official info:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/precision-bass/american-professional-ii-precision-bass/0193930755.html

Lots of videos on YT. One good example showcasing the Dark Night finish:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Could be eq’d to sound like that but yes, a very dark sound, my US Professional is nowhere near as dark as that.

Interestingly, in this video, we hear "...tone control rolled all the way up: super bright" (1:13) and "when I rolled it all the way off [...] everything was still clear and bright" (1:28) Hmm

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I wouldn't say it's dark just by that video, we've no idea where the tone control was set or what he was playing through. The previous American Professional's pickup wasn't dark or muddy, and the blurb says the new one is even more articulate.

In the Empire Music video the guy said the tone was fully off and that the pickups had less top end than the previous Pro.

Edited by gjones

I may have drunk too much Jim Beam, but in respect of the OP, if you're looking for a 'Motown bass', why are you looking forwards instead of back?

If you want 'that Motown sound' either spend some coin on vintage, or spec up something similar through our very own @walshy.

All this 'American Professional II' stuff is smoke and mirrors I promise you. I seriously lost the plot with the Fender production range after the American Deluxe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I may have drunk too much Jim Beam, but in respect of the OP, if you're looking for a 'Motown bass', why are you looking forwards instead of back?

If you want 'that Motown sound' either spend some coin on vintage, or spec up something similar through our very own @walshy.

All this 'American Professional II' stuff is smoke and mirrors I promise you. I seriously lost the plot with the Fender production range after the American Deluxe.

Thanks man, I have 3 built and ready to rock too! I think building and spec’ if your own is a pretty cool way to get exactly what you want. Love making them too. I’m using black walnut for the bodies, the sound is killer. 

B5DA711A-C3E3-4136-B599-CCF2E00EB05F.jpeg

• Like 4

Have to agree with the Gentleman above - pop your own together and you have full control of the process and sound - play the waiting game and you can be thrifty on the second hand market for parts, blanks etc and it’s fun!

Some have gone to new homes, 3 currently hanging around.

A43BF4AD-CE69-466A-A915-4C78B7765599.thumb.jpeg.978b27ec4fe1b866ca9f33645aae6f9c.jpeg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, walshy said:

Thanks man, I have 3 built and ready to rock too! I think building and spec’ if your own is a pretty cool way to get exactly what you want. Love making them too. I’m using black walnut for the bodies, the sound is killer. 

Nice them buddy 👍🏾👊🏾💪🏾

• Like 2

2 hours ago, walshy said:

@Eldon Tyrell - this is all the Motown you need. Stick a bit of foam under the strings if you must, but they will all do the job admirably. All built from top drawer components and finished by David Wilson. I would argue that the components are a clear step up from what the Fender production line are using, the paint is definitely better, more choice of colours (any colour you like in fact) and they're cheaper. No brainer AFAIC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2