Why become a member? ×

Guess the bass you hear before you see it

KingPrawn

I heard this on the radio yesterday and guessed it was a Wal bass. Not just the sound but also the year as they were so influential at that time. It is a great bass line. Bit harder these days to guess the bass as the options and quality preamps and pickups is so varied. Made me think, is it really the pickups I’m predicting ( Jazz, P, MM) than the actual make of instrument?

Edited by KingPrawn
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I could not do this! Seriously - I'm impressed. You obviously have a good ear, or just really like Wal basses! 

Yep, me too.

In as much as I was aware of it,  think I'd assumed it was a guitar playing the more audible high end stuff.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I do seem to remember this being on tv?

didnt the guy make a complete pink torpedo out of himself on the first bass? which he mistook for an ironing board? Or something??? As Madness might have quoted......Your an Embarrassment !

Edited by MB1

I am a member of a Wal owners Facebook group. Some of the clips on there are 'kin dreadful. I am not sure what a Wal sounds like. I don't sound like Percy Jones, he don't sound like Geddy Lee and so on. I am not convinced that a brand of bass can be guessed beyond the idea that a brand is popular at some point or in some genre. Then it's chance.

Scott Devine has a load of P and J basses that are not Fenders and all sound like Fenders. It's all educated guess work at best. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 18:58, KingPrawn said:

I heard this on the radio yesterday and guessed it was a Wal bass. Not just the sound but also the year as they were so influential at that time. It is a great bass line. Bit harder these days to guess the bass as the options and quality preamps and pickups is so varied. Made me think, is it really the pickups I’m predicting ( Jazz, P, MM) than the actual make of instrument?

Great bass line but questionable shorts. He must have borrowed Annabelles!

Annabella’s, you mean. 😉

They're one of my favourite bands, and Leigh “Leroy” Gorman one of my favourite players and main influences. 

Oh, and Leigh’s sound always sounds like a Wal to me. It’s perfectly possible to make a Wal sound less like a Wal, but there is definitely a “Wal” tone, that you’ll struggle to get out of anything else. I’ve had two BTW. Listen to Flea on Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

Edited by 4000