Why become a member? ×

Nickel strings?

four/five

I've just become a proud owner of a BB425 in very good condition. The strings I thought needed changing so with it being a 34" scale I thought I'd try a set of D'Addario EXL165-5. This set has a 135 B string going to a 45 G.

Normally I use Elixer or a steel string on other basses. I decided to try a nickel wound instead. At the moment they sound like as if the strings have been the bass for months, dull and lifeless even compared to a set of Elixir coated.
The "box blurb" states "Experience the amazingly Bright Tone". Well I must be missing something somewhere because the old strings I took off had a better tone than these.
Surely Nickels are not this bad? They sound more like a set of flats.

On the upside the BB425 for a passive bass has some great sounds, well with the old strings on. The previous owner not sure what they were though but do have coloured ball ends but no silk wraps.

Coloured Ball Ends & no silk, could be Dunlop steels?

Not a fan of Nickel strings, due to the skin reaction. Kind of a half way house from flats sound wise IMO. Much prefer stainless steels.

Edited by Skybone

After chatting to D'Addario, they state that Yamaha BB425 bass recommends the EXL170-5 Super Long string due to the through body design. They seemed to think that the taper of the string would be on the wrong side of the nut and not give the string a decent sound with the EXL165. I pointed out that even with strings through the body the taper of the EXL165-5 is past the nut. I would therefore have thought by using a Super Long string that the main outer string winding would then be wrapped around the post. This usually normal for A, D and G and sometimes an E string. But wrapping a B string outer layer around the post? Is this what people do on BB range 5 stringers. Perhaps I should have tried to post this in the Mega BB section.
Thanks to those that have answered.

9EE0CF08-5021-4C00-81CC-B19152C0FB9F.jpeg

4D9577BF-E112-4995-A5D3-EE6F91EEC837.jpeg

I use EXL 170-5 (long scale, 45-130), and I believe that's what they fit as stock. Perfect fit stringing though the bridge on my BB1025X. No need for super long, as you say you might end up trying to wrap a thick string around the post if you did!