Why become a member? ×

Truss rod query

TRBboy

Hi folks, 

I'm about to start building my very first build, and just wondered if there's any particular dual action truss rod I should be looking at? Are some better than others? Any recommended suppliers? 

Also, if someone could point me in the direction of where /how to find graphite rods to reinforce the neck, that would be great. 

Thanks! 😊👍

One place on eBay selling graphite rods:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fibre-Neck-Rod-4mm-x-7mm-x-620mm-for-Bass-guitar/293584983770

I've bought truss rods off eBay and from places like ToneTech luthier suppliers and have all been pretty decent to be honest. Personally, I like this style of truss rod:

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/guitar-parts/truss-rods/truss-rod-2-way-adjustable-bass-4595.html

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks, sorry, next question! 

How do I decide what length truss rod to go for? It will be a 34" scale, but 24 frets, and I'm planning on extending the neck tenon as far as the neck pickup to allow for the 'heel' to be all but removed for good upper fret access. 

Any advice much appreciated. 😊👍

Sorry guys, any further advice on the length required? I've been advised several things so far, from 580mm to 630mm,but still feeling a bit confused. 😊

Also @Jabba_the_gut which way around do those 4x7mm strips go, is the 7mm side parallel to the fretboard?

Thanks

Edited by TRBboy

The trussrod really only impacts the neck between the nut and heel. Even with a thin heel, where your neck is bolted onto the body is where any flex ends. So the distance between the nut and heel/body dictates length required.

So ask yourself, what is my scale length and at what fret does my neck attach to the body.

Generally that means 3-5cm or so shorter trussrod than the length of your fretboard, but it depends on where you adjust (neck or body side) and how/where it attaches to the body exactly.

If you have 34” scale, 24 frets and extended heel your trussrod will basically span the entire 25 and a bit inches of your fretboard meaning 630mm is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Also @Jabba_the_gut which way around do those 4x7mm strips go, is the 7mm side parallel to the fretboard?

Here's a diagram from the StewMac site for neck rod.

o6bsIuu.jpg

The full detail is at

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/learn-about-truss-rod-installation-and-repair/working-with-carbon-fiber-reinforcement-materials.html#

Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That's really helpful, thanks very much Jez 😊👍

So I think then if I want a fairly Slender neck profile, I'd be better to go for square bars rather than rectangular, as it'll leave a bit more 'meat' in the back of the neck. 

1 hour ago, itu said:

Remember to put some grease to the rod thread and turn the screw from end to end before installation. It is easy to do it now before the unit is inside the neck.

Great advice, thanks! Any particular type of grease?