Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* ***1981 slot pole piece G&L L1000 ***
£995
Leeds

LukeFRC

A bit of a holy grail bass these, slot polepiece G&L L1000 all passive BEAST! One of Leo Fenders lovely designs. I imagine he sold musicman and sat there wondering “how can I improve my old P bass?” 

One of the hottest pickups ever made. The slot pole piece ones can be adjusted to change the sound (true, Leo took out a patent) 

Made in USA (obv) in the factory that had been building Stingrays till a few years previously - the neck feels like a old pre EB stingray in terms of shape. 

Negatives - The finish is worn, the nitro on the neck has crazed, it’s had a bit worn out where the previous owner rested his finger, the frets have some wear. Some off the chrome has flaked off one of the knobs, and the treble pot probably needs cleaning as it’s a bit scratchy (but it’s never bothered me) 
also the original receipt meantions an Free respect. I don’t think that was taken up as there is no evidence of it- but it’s a possibility 

positives- it’s a friggin 1981 slot polepiece L1000 in alder or basswood with a transparent green finish, it’s got a neck like a Slim pre EB stingray, it sounds like thunder and it’s got the original case, and Allen key and receipt from when it was new too. It’s 39 years old and tomorrows vintage classic

I bought it off here a few years back. Only selling now to try and raise money for something else I’ve got my eye on. 
collect in Leeds, I can post at cost. Rosewood fingerboard so EU only for safety. 

luke859C09AA-593D-4D4C-99F6-A31C5A2468DC.thumb.jpeg.030cc2ff1dd3f5c794067d392a6f1c5d.jpeg724C456B-DD02-4EBF-8D26-AA8E247AD095.thumb.jpeg.5d6bb491ecac67f1314583e4ccd4e80c.jpegF5D140FA-0DDF-422F-87A4-31F933A6EC6B.thumb.jpeg.be799447d84747318972311a47b88dc8.jpeg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 5

Loads of photos added! 

I've tried to show the condition of the finish as well as I can. 
Case is 39 years old and shows signs of wear. most the feet have come off... I doubt G&L are in the vintage collectors range that the case condition will be a major consideration for anyone! :D 

_DSF5970.JPG

_DSF5969.JPG

_DSF5968.JPG

_DSF5967.JPG

_DSF5966.JPG

_DSF5965.JPG

_DSF5964.JPG

_DSF5963.JPG

_DSF5962.JPG

_DSF5961.JPG

_DSF5960.JPG

_DSF5959.JPG

_DSF5958.JPG

_DSF5956.JPG

_DSF5955.JPG

_DSF5954.JPG

_DSF5953.JPG

_DSF5952.JPG

_DSF5951.JPG

_DSF5950.JPG

_DSF5949.JPG

_DSF5948.JPG

_DSF5947.JPG

_DSF5946.JPG

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 4

Pictures are on the to do list - sorry

Yesterday the house alarm we hardly use decided to run out of battery- I know the box is alarmed but couldn’t remember how easy it was to override... So we just paid a massive amount for a guy to open a box and change a battery. It feels like a rip off and then I remember we were having to set a desk beside the control and enter our code every 2 min! Not a good day.

and yeah the dog ate my homework too 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, karlfer said:

LOVIN' that!❤️

Not far from Darlo! :D

6 hours ago, iMilanek said:

This one is amazing😍  Love to see some better pics ...

Just added in post two 

Cheers for holding with me, it's been a long week where lots of things seem to have gone wrong and I've not had much sleep. Got there eventually! :D 

That's about the nicest bass that's been on here for about a year. Having recently taken to Stingray-esque control plates on both my Precisions, I've just realised that this is a subconscious homage to this very bass :)

And BTW, whilst you're arguably confusing not just Norse (Thor) and Greek (Zeus), but also Roman (Jupiter) mythology, I think it's not unreasonable to take a 70's supergroup approach here, perhaps seeing said trio as a kind of celestial Emerson Lake & Palmer, a fusion of cultures with, I'm guessing, Thor on drums, Jupiter on bass and Zeus on lead and vocals?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That's about the nicest bass that's been on here for about a year. Having recently taken to Stingray-esque control plates on both my Precisions, I've just realised that this is a subconscious homage to this very bass :)

And BTW, whilst you're arguably confusing not just Norse (Thor) and Greek (Zeus), but also Roman (Jupiter) mythology, I think it's not unreasonable to take a 70's supergroup approach here, perhaps seeing said trio as a kind of celestial Emerson Lake & Palmer, a fusion of cultures with, I'm guessing, Thor on drums, Jupiter on bass and Zeus on lead and vocals?

Zeus on lead. Ra on vocals. He’s a bit big headed, thinks the sun shines out of his derrière. Which To be fair it does.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Jupiter (Roman) and Zeus (Greek) are the same god, but that is stunning looking bass, love the green

Next you will be telling me the Ziggy Stardust and David Bowie were the same guy!