Why become a member? ×

Are you still open to new music?

HazBeen

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That wouldn't have sounded out of place in John Peel's show any time between 1979 and 1983.

You're probably right- I've got some crazy records I bought having heard them on Peel between those years (and many from later!).

There's very little that's completely new, but it's nice to find things that are different and stand out with their own sound. Even if you can spot all sorts of other influences in it.

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 23:10, DiMarco said:

Still, most live bands I have seen in the past few years are really not worth leaving the house for. Netflix is just way better entertainment.

Music comes first for me..... I'd rather see an OK-ish live band than watch TV.

And there are plenty of great ones around......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRBboy said:

On another note, and contrary to what a lot of people say, I really think that pop music is in a great place at the moment. There are a lot of genuinely good artists, a lot of artists doing new /different things, and generally a lot less manufactured/plastic /gimmicky stuff than there was 20-30 years ago. 

I'm a big fan of proper pop music throughout the decades, but must admit this probably came to a halt around the turn of the century. Any chance of a few choice artists/tracks to check out please?

57 in a couple of weeks, and a keen listener to and searcher for new music.  Radio 6 is an excellent source, as are my kids and other friends.  In the last year I've discovered some of the best new (to me) music I've heard in a long time.

Big Thief

Phoebe Bridgers (esp collaborations)

Feist

Bilge Pump

Parquet Courts

Lucy Dacus

Beige Palace

Warmduscher

And tons more

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A band I learned about through my current band is Volbeat as we do one of their songs. I’d never heard of them but liked the song so checked them out on YouTube and bought some albums as I liked most of what I saw/heard. I’m glad I’m still open to newer bands or ages old material that I haven’t heard up until now, keeps music exciting.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2020 at 19:21, Lozz196 said:

A band I learned about through my current band is Volbeat as we do one of their songs. I’d never heard of them but liked the song so checked them out on YouTube and bought some albums as I liked most of what I saw/heard. I’m glad I’m still open to newer bands or ages old material that I haven’t heard up until now, keeps music exciting.

I love Volbeat. Which song do you do?

On 18/08/2020 at 21:33, HazBeen said:

At 46 I can’t say I am a spring chicken anymore (nor over the hill), but I still actively look for new music/bands/musicians to get into.

So I was rather amazed to find that my band mates, all a few years my jr, all said they did not do the same and that they in essence felt that hardly any music that was worth their while is being made today. It certainly takes more effort to wade through the muck, but there is still good stuff being made by young guns.

Makes me wonder what my BC community thinks. Are you still open to “new”?

I don't think a lot has changed regarding how 'poor' new music is since I was a kid in the 70's. Basically, people who were my present age then were saying what a lot of people my age now are saying these days...

Or something like that...

Shazam is the new music lovers best friend. Some tv shows have awesome scores and we have found lots of great new music from this. We have also found lots of older music that we hadn’t heard before. YouTube is another great way to discover new music if you follow the suggestions. 

8 minutes ago, Johnm93 said:

I don't think a lot has changed regarding how 'poor' new music is since I was a kid in the 70's. Basically, people who were my present age then were saying what a lot of people my age now are saying these days...

Or something like that...

Yeah, but don’t you find it funny that older people are into hard rock and punk and younger ones are saying what a racket?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ubit said:

Yeah, but don’t you find it funny that older people are into hard rock and punk and younger ones are saying what a racket?

Yes, spot on. The younglings at work listen to a lot of earnest meaningful other young people and can’t quite understand the loud aggressive bands that I listen to.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes, spot on. The younglings at work listen to a lot of earnest meaningful other young people and can’t quite understand the loud aggressive bands that I listen to.

A late friend of mine called this sort of music "wimp ditties" 😀

• Haha 1