Why become a member? ×

Are you still open to new music?

HazBeen

I wouldn't say I actively search out new music, but occasionally some new music catches my ear..... the odd new rock act playlisted on Planet Rock... or sometimes something that reminds me of classic older music that I like. e.g. new 'Yacht Rock' purveyors "Young Gun Silver Fox".

Otherwise, I like finding 'new to me' old music, typically from the 70's.... e.g. Lake, Lucifer's Friend, Zon etc

I prefer my music, whatever the style, to be organic so soulless modern pop, dance, rap music etc generally leaves me cold.

I've got a number of mates who profess to be constantly searching for new music. But it turns out that all their "new" music is a new band playing music that's just a re-hash of what my m8s already like; frinstance my punk mates listen to loads of new bands who just sound like either Sham 69, the Subs or Misfits. Rockier friends discover the likes of Greta Van Fleet, (i.e Led Zep), funky m8s find Big Sam's Funky Nation (Fatback etc).

Personally, while I like new bands that produce stuff "influenced by" (i.e. copied from) genres I enjoy, I'm most excited by new bands that don't really sound like anyone else - like CLT DRP, or Girl Band or Idles...

I'm still open to it even at the fully ripe age of 72, but I must admit I want it to come to me. I never listen to the radio even though we have 2 digital radios.

Occasionally I'll pick something up on youtube and I'll hit on say 1 track, like this for example.
 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anouar+brahem+blue+maqams

Then I'll bemoan the lake of anything new and classy. Singer-songwriters and anything vaguely M.O.R are out, boring; rap & club crap are definity out - doesn't meet my idea of music and I'm too old for swallowing chemicals to make the noises acceptable (might interfere with the statins). Where are the new class acts with well written songs?  Are there new "Steve Miller"  or Robert Cray" bands out there? As SimonEdward says above "well crafted music".

I even enjoyed the acceptable face of electronic music way back when - anyone remember Isao Tomita "Snowflakes are Dancing" (Debussy).

I've tried Spotify and as an example looked for "New Jazz". Gave up after endless utterly obscure variations on an unknown theme from a hallucinatory western. Even wacky can be fun, especially if it's done well. When "San plein pour moi" comes on as backing to a commercial we're grinning our heads off and I take to air guitar!

Yes, I'm still open for accepting new stuff, but please help!!!

• Like 1

Yes, and I've discovered a lot of unexpectedly enjoyable music, but there seems to be a lot of stuff out there that simply isn't very good. I'm also discovering stuff I missed first time round.

I think I'm less likely to have a strong view based on the genre these days, and more likely to judge music on its own merits.

As for what I buy, most of it is pretty focused on my core musical interests.

Being honest my New Music tends to be old music I haven't heard before, or new music in similar styles. The "What are you listening to now " thread here is a good source of stuff new to me, though seldom new, and Spotify is good too. Sometimes brand new bands appear on my radar which is cool.

Since March though I haven't been into Birmingham city centre,  so I haven't spent any time or money at my previous regular lunchtime haunts of HMV and The Vault. 😥

Yes/No.

I find that my searching out and consumption of music (both new and old) is inversely proportional to how busy I am with my own compositions. At the moment I'm very much focused on the later so I don't have much time for the former.

I'd like to think that I was open to new music, but in reality nearly all the "new" artists I have discovered in the last 10 years are either heavily influenced by music from my past - mainly the 70s and 80s - or feature members from bands I have previously enjoyed.

I'm always looking for different bands and artists to listen to. I wouldn't say it was new music as such. For example, at the moment I'm listening to Rival Sons A LOT! I'd not say they produce new music as such, it's very much blues/60's-70's inspired rock music. But it's new to me and they do what they do incredibly well.

It's been a long time since I've heard a new artist or band and thought 'wow! that's different'. So in that sense, I don't listen to new music. There are good bands etc, but in the main most are incredibly bland and unexciting.

In short yes.

Long answer, Im a 33 year old Metal head, mellowing out, I like the groove so Im into Stoner rock and stuff, but getting big into Blues and stuff like that, I have just discovered Ten Years After (older folk dont shout at me!?) and they're from my neck of the woods too, thought we just had Statham and Richard Bacon as "famous" people from here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Paul S said:

For me, 'new music' is how I categorise something I haven't heard before.  Doesn't matter when it was released.  And I'll either like it or not, whatever the genre.

Exactly the same here, just heard these guys on Planet Rock this morning, new to me, reminds me of the US Southern Rock stuff I really like, Allmans etc.

• Like 1

Definite yes from me - always open to hearing something new, whether that's something old that's new to me, or a new band who are doing something interesting.  But I recognise that split - I have mates, and bandmates, who have finished music, and have no interest in listening to any band that they didn't like by the time they were 25 (in fact, one of my school mates told me at 14 that he had four AC/DC records, a couple of Whitesnake LPs and Status Quo's 12 Gold Bars so he didn't see the need to buy any more albums so he was done)

What has changed over the years is that I don't go relentlessly looking for new stuff like I did in my teens/20's.  These days it's more likely to be seeing a band at a festival, and I make the effort to google the bands I haven't heard of to see if they sound interesting when planning my days.  And I've got into a lot of great bands from going to the bar in the second stage tent at Bloodstock

And I like bands who are trying new ways of doing stuff. Even if it's recognisable as a new way of doing old stuff

• Like 1

Definitely still up for discovering new music, whether its something similar to my usual style, or something different.

As others here have said that could be having your eyes opened to old stuff that you never listened to at the time (for me that's old Bowie) or brand new stuff (quite into the bass parts on current Dua Lipa stuff for example.)

I have seen the effect that you're talking about, for a large number of people it seems like the music you listened to up to a certain age (20, give or take a few years?) ends up being it for the rest of your life. I can't really understand it. I'm 52, and although I'm not always bang up to date quite a bit of the "older" music I listen to is from the the 21st century. I'm another that also keeps finding much older music that I like. Hey, I've even started listening to some Jazz! Only the weaker stuff obviously, I'd need to build up my tolerances for anything stronger.

Up until a few years ago, I was of the opinion that nobody was making good new music - that it was mostly manufactured, X Factor type stuff. I still listened to lots of 'new to me' music though - there's probably enough released before I was born (early 80s) to keep me going for a lifetime! There was definitely an element of being too cool for new music.

However, I must be mellowing in my old age... I've found plenty of new music that I enjoy. Of particular note are Lake Street Dive and Michael Kiwanuka. I find Later With Jools Holland a good way to discover new music. Plenty on there I don't like too, but that's all part of the discovery process!

George

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 09:48, MacDaddy said:

IMO we can not say the same for 2010/2000 and 2020/2010. Has there been anything new in popular music in over 20 years?

I'm guessing the truly innovative stuff that suggests no influences is probably unlistenable, and rightly stays in underground scenes 😆

But I'd argue that dubstep (mid-2000s) transcended its influences enough to feel like a "new" genre, not just a variation on an old one. And in particular, the US bro-step (e.g. Skrillex) that grew out of it around 2010 - that definitely crossed over into the mainstream enough to appear in adverts and film trailers. That's usually a good sign of something that sounds novel to the average person (and also that a genre has become creatively bankrupt and all the originators have moved on 🤣).

I'm pretty out-of-touch with popular stuff now. I understand that trap has peaked in the last decade, but from what I've heard that's heavily influenced by eighties electro, so not that new - a bit like neo-soul compared to soul. I'm probably making myself sound ancient here! :facepalm:

Yup. I'm into Prog as my main thing, and never before have there been so many amazing bands out there! We had the giants back in the day, Yes, Genesis et al, but what we have now is a VAST amount of musicians playing prog-related material.

My best find in recent years has been Peter Jones, an amazing blind multi-instrumentalist with a superb voice. He's played live with both Camel and Francis Dunnery's It Bites in the past year, learning all keyboard parts with no help from reading a score! His own albums, under the name of Tiger Moth Tales are superb.

I moved from buying CDs to Spotify a couple of years ago. Since then, although I have consumed more different music it has been more difficult to become invested in particular artists.

The last band I really got into was Ghost, when their 'Meliora' album was released (coincidentally 5 years ago today!)

4 hours ago, geoham said:

Up until a few years ago, I was of the opinion that nobody was making good new music - that it was mostly manufactured, X Factor type stuff. I still listened to lots of 'new to me' music though - there's probably enough released before I was born (early 80s) to keep me going for a lifetime! There was definitely an element of being too cool for new music.

However, I must be mellowing in my old age... I've found plenty of new music that I enjoy. Of particular note are Lake Street Dive and Michael Kiwanuka. I find Later With Jools Holland a good way to discover new music. Plenty on there I don't like too, but that's all part of the discovery process!

George

Yes, Later has been another good source for me. I came across Lake Street Dive through one of those dreadful clickbait videos!

On 19/08/2020 at 14:17, Paul S said:

For me, 'new music' is how I categorise something I haven't heard before.  Doesn't matter when it was released.  And I'll either like it or not, whatever the genre.

This.

I listen to 6music quite a bit, there's often good new stuff on there. I also get recommendations from muso friends. I'm very much open to new musical experiences. 👍