Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Supernatural noisy treble circuit?

doc40hz

Can any JayDee owners answer me this? I have three JayDees. Two Series IIs and one Series III. All from the mid/late 80s I think. 

I always assumed the treble circuits noise was just a quirk of the preamp. It's really hissy when boosted, but this hiss disappears when the mids are cut. 

I recently bought my second Series II from another basschatter. It had a defective bass circuit so was sent back to the JayDee workshop and it had a new preamp fitted. The treble circuit on the new preamp is dead quite, and doesn't sound so dramatic in its treble boost.

So.....are my other preamps defective or is that just what they sounded like and the new preamp is quieter?

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 11:19, doc40hz said:

Can any JayDee owners answer me this? I have three JayDees. Two Series IIs and one Series III. All from the mid/late 80s I think. 

I always assumed the treble circuits noise was just a quirk of the preamp. It's really hissy when boosted, but this hiss disappears when the mids are cut. 

I recently bought my second Series II from another basschatter. It had a defective bass circuit so was sent back to the JayDee workshop and it had a new preamp fitted. The treble circuit on the new preamp is dead quite, and doesn't sound so dramatic in its treble boost.

So.....are my other preamps defective or is that just what they sounded like and the new preamp is quieter?

I think it's what they sounded like new.  The treble boost was always a bit hissy when turned up, but early days for active electronics.  Never bothered me much because I like a middly sound and never really boosted the treble.  I don't doubt they have improved it since then and use a quieter chip.

• Like 1