Why become a member? ×

Sourcing a machinehead for an old Yamaha Bass (TRB6II)

squatsbrah

Hello

I'd quite like to replace the tuner / machine head on the C string of my beloved Yamaha TRB 6II because the back plate is missing and the tuning thread (?) / twisty thing is a little warped.

I tried reaching out to Sontec in the UK (the company who handles Yamaha spares) and they haven't got what I need.

Is there anything else I can do?

5P9SmsF.jpg

Cheers

I used a TRB5 for years as my main instrument and I’m pretty certain that the tuners are rebranded Gotoh’s. I know that doesn’t help much on the search for an OEM part but it might give a workable alternative if you can cope with the button saying Gotoh and not Yamaha... 

They look like Gotohs (Yamaha have certainly used them). Have a look on the Gotoh website and see if there's anything matching in their current range. It won't have a Yammie logo on it, but that's a minor problem unless your OCD is particularly acute.

On 21/08/2020 at 17:02, BigRedX said:

TBH from a OCD PoV the state of the gold platting new vs old is likely to be more unsettling than the lack of a Yamaha logo.

Yeah I suppose you're not wrong there. Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look at those Gotoh tuners and probably install one.