Why become a member? ×

stunningly PRICED Wal on eBay!

NickA

Educate me here. I know Wals command big prices on the used market, and I know that new they're quite pricey, but what's the selling point here that warrants the huge mark up (or at least, what does this guy think the selling point is)? Is it that he's providing a readily available bass that would be otherwise impossible to find?

It went for around $9000. !

The mark up is due to the price of and long wait for a new one. prices "start at" £6050, £6350 for a mk 3, but there's a 3 year order backlog ..

When demand surges (Tool have an album out, someone from Rush kicks the bucket) people want one and want one now.  Then people see how quickly they're gaining value and the collectors and chancers step up.

Nice basses, not £15,000 nice ... but up there with Alembics and Foderas I suppose.  Weird thing is, equally special basses ( Smith's, ACGs, maybe Overwaters and a few others) can't command a fraction of the price and lose value as soon as they're played.

Bill Wyman's Wal is up for auction right now, expected cost £40,000+ and there's a £10k offer in.

..https://www.julienslive.com/m/search?page=1&view=list&sale=undefined&catm=any&order=timeleft&live=no&hybrid=no&timed=no&regular=no&buynow=no&makeoffer=no&xclosed=no&featured=no&lotnum=894

Edited by NickA
link added
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NickA said:

The mark up is due to the price of and long wait for a new one. prices "start at" £6050, £6350 for a mk 3, but there's a 3 year order backlog ..

When demand surges (Tool have an album out, someone from Rush kicks the bucket) people want one and want one now.  Then people see how quickly they're gaining value and the collectors and chancers step up.

Nice basses, not £15,000 nice ... but up there with Alembics and Foderas I suppose.  Weird thing is, equally special basses ( Smith's, ACGs, maybe Overwaters and a few others) can't command a fraction of the price and lose value as soon as they're played.

Bill Wyman's Wal is up for auction right now, expected cost £40,000+ and there's a £10k offer in.

Was it over the age of consent ?😆

12 hours ago, NickA said:

I think you've summed this up well - some instruments seem to have this mythical quality to them that people respond to.

And really, at the end of the day, the price of any instrument is based on what the market will bear. If one sells for 15k, or 40k, or whatever else, so be it.

You look at the guitar world, and there's plenty of examples of instruments where the price is purely based on the fact that there's a queue of people lined up that outnumbers the instruments available on the market - 50s Les Pauls, Explorers and Vs, and more close to home for this site, Zemaitis guitars.