Why become a member? Ɨ

Flats Without Silk Wrapping?

thebrig

Does anyone know of any flats that don't have silk wrapping?

I'm sure I will be told that the tone is more important than cosmetics, butĀ I hate brightly coloured wrapping on strings with a passion!Ā šŸ˜§

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi brig, Ā I think they might beĀ Ā here somewhere , Iā€™m sure someone found a set somewhere Ā šŸ™‚

Ā 

Thanks, I must have missed that thread, I've just read it with interest and it seems I'm not alone in my dislike for silk wrapping.

I remember trying some black nylon strings once, I paid quite a bit for them but they had bright gold wrapping which looked hideous over black, they lasted about two days before I removed them.Ā šŸ˜«

I think I could live with grey or even black wraps, but not the bright colours unfortunately.

Don't the manufacturers realise that the brightly coloured wraps stop a lot of us buying their strings?Ā šŸ¤”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may be doing something potentially life threatening but... I swapped some flats out from one bass to another, which generated the inevitable "tatty silk at the tuning peg end" effect. I got my handy craft knife and rubbed gently along the frayed silk and it came off easily and cleanly, which eased my mild case of OCD immediately. I've never removed any silk from the bridge end, but if there's no significant reason why strings must have silks at the peg end (and a quick Google search seems to corroborate that) then as long as you have a cheapo craft knife and 10 minutes of spare time, you too can eradicate the horror of a frayed silk.

Caveat: The silk bits turn to dust and fly everywhere, so have a dustpan and brush to hand, or do it outside.

Edited by rushbo

52 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Caveat: The silk bits turn to dust and fly everywhere, so have a dustpan and brush to hand, or do it outside.

Not only is it colour of the wraps I dislike, but even without taking a craft knife to them, dust seems to fly off them anyway, especially at the bridge end when you are threading them throughĀ šŸ˜§

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

Thanks, I must have missed that thread, I've just read it with interest and it seems I'm not alone in my dislike for silk wrapping.

I remember trying some black nylon strings once, I paid quite a bit for them but they had bright gold wrapping which looked hideous over black, they lasted about two days before I removed them.Ā šŸ˜«

I think I could live with grey or even black wraps, but not the bright colours unfortunately.

Don't the manufacturers realise that the brightly coloured wraps stop a lot of us buying their strings?Ā šŸ¤”

Haha that thread... I ended up ignoring replies after a while, seem to remember getting some stick from people for 'caring too much' or whatever. Can't help liking things a certain way!Ā šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I don't mind the sight of silks, I just hate when they're badly misaligned, can deal with a few mm or whatever but sometimes you get one, (Often the E string) that doesn't line up and it bugs me haha.
Last time I got my bass setup they put some flats on and they were all aligned perfectly, but people on here seem to think it's impossible to do every time...

Ā 

4 hours ago, rushbo said:

I may be doing something potentially life threatening but... I swapped some flats out from one bass to another, which generated the inevitable "tatty silk at the tuning peg end" effect. I got my handy craft knife and rubbed gently along the frayed silk and it came off easily and cleanly, which eased my mild case of OCD immediately. I've never removed any silk from the bridge end, but if there's no significant reason why strings must have silks at the peg end (and a quick Google search seems to corroborate that) then as long as you have a cheapo craft knife and 10 minutes of spare time, you too can eradicate the horror of a frayed silk.

I've literally just had a go at removing the wrapping off some old flats that I'm replacingĀ with a craft knife, and it worked a treat.

Thanks for the tip rushboĀ šŸ‘

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I've literally just had a go at removing the wrapping off some old flats that I'm replacingĀ with a craft knife, and it worked a treat.

Thanks for the tip rushboĀ šŸ‘

My pleasure....just donā€™t blame me if the universe implodes, due to your silk removal!

• Haha 1

I see Picato are mentioned on that linked thread above. I bought a set of Picato flats from Strings Direct in May. They were described as having blue silk at both ends - however the strings I received had no silk at all.

I've actually taken off the bass now and replaced with rounds, given I now unexpectedly have two very similar jazz basses, after the return of one stolen months ago!

George

7 minutes ago, geoham said:

I see Picato are mentioned on that linked thread above. I bought a set of Picato flats from Strings Direct in May. They were described as having blue silk at both ends - however the strings I received had no silk at all.

I've actually taken off the bass now and replaced with rounds, given I now unexpectedly have two very similar jazz basses, after the return of one stolen months ago!

George

If you want to sell the flats with no silks, PM me. šŸ˜ƒ

• 3 months later...
On 18/08/2020 at 14:26, AinsleyWalker said:

But if you're just looking for black/plain coloured flats, I'm fairly sure La Bella Deep Talking Flats have black silk wrapping on them :)

In my experience La Bella 760FS is the set with black silk.

Although the Strings Direct website says they are blue.

Edited by EssentialTension

The LaBella flats I put on my Hofner Club (they're actually listed for the violin bass but the same thing) had black silks. One of them snapped whilst first tuning and LaBella sent me a replacement but it had a grey silk. I don't know if they're moving from black to grey, I hope not as I like the black silks.Ā 

A black Sharpie sorted the mismatch out.Ā