Why become a member? ×

Eric Clapton’s music “mediocre”?

Baxlin

19 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Well, Eric's playing an A minor chord on an acoustic guitar so it's either a sad or a meaningful song and he's playing it in front of an old caravan so it's probably a sad song in A minor about how he can't afford a new caravan.

Can't help feeling that in certain postcodes that caravan would fetch a fair few quid

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

SOCCER?

Don't bring the bloody Americans into this! They're more racist than anyone else, string 'em all up, I say!

Yes, soccer, as opposed to RUGBY football.   I suppose I could have used the more correct, or pedantic, description, Association Football.  Either way, I never gave our Colonial cousins across the pond a thought......

3 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Sorry, I've been drunk-typing this evening. Not the worst thing to do, but this has turned into a sensitive thread, which I have treated with a mixture of liberal opinon and flippant humour. It may even have been my comments from this morning which swung, or helped swing, it round to the side of the issue you were keen to avoid.

For some clarity, I'm married to an American, and in our household something like the soccer/football thing is a common joke about cultural differences and how folks will use them to form negative feelings over nothing. It was was also meant to be a kind of parody of the hypocrisy in 'correct' PC thinking (I hate racists, let's kill them all/I support free speech, let's silence those who think differently, etc.).

Regardless of all that, you have expressed your discomfort about the direction this has taken, and i have blundered on insensitively, so, my apologies. An afternoon in the boozer is no excuse for verbal roughshodedness.

Hey, no apology necessary 👍

Let me clarify.....I’m just fed up to the back teeth with the hysteria this country seems to have over football/soccer or whatever.  Making gods out of multi-millionaire players, etc.  You will have gathered I’m not a fan.

On a tangent, there was a photo of one the other day, some ‘top’ player or other, riding a pushbike, ‘look mum, no hands’, no gloves, and although wearing a helmet, it was unfastened.  What an example to youngsters who worship the likes of him.

Southgate has warned of player burnout, because of the ‘crowded’ imminent international fixture list, but compare his players with say Tour de France cyclists, who hardly have a break during the 3 weeks or so of the Tour.

Having finished my rant, I’m off out for the day shortly, so won’t be able to see the flak I’ve attracted from those members I have upset - and I’m not drunk-typing, but as Mrs B would say, I’m sounding just like my Dad.....😀

(talk about thread going off topic!)

Malcolm

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Let me clarify.....I’m just fed up to the back teeth with the hysteria this country seems to have over football/soccer or whatever.  Making gods out of multi-millionaire players, etc.  You will have gathered I’m not a fan.

On a tangent, there was a photo of one the other day, some ‘top’ player or other, riding a pushbike, ‘look mum, no hands’, no gloves, and although wearing a helmet, it was unfastened.  What an example to youngsters who worship the likes of him.

Southgate has warned of player burnout, because of the ‘crowded’ imminent international fixture list, but compare his players with say Tour de France cyclists, who hardly have a break during the 3 weeks or so of the Tour.

Having finished my rant, I’m off out for the day shortly, so won’t be able to see the flak I’ve attracted from those members I have upset - and I’m not drunk-typing, but as Mrs B would say, I’m sounding just like my Dad.....😀

Malcolm

I'm a Scot so football obviously not important for us any more :laugh1:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Sorry, I've been drunk-typing this evening. Not the worst thing to do, but this has turned into a sensitive thread, which I have treated with a mixture of liberal opinon and flippant humour. It may even have been my comments from this morning which swung, or helped swing, it round to the side of the issue you were keen to avoid.

For some clarity, I'm married to an American, and in our household something like the soccer/football thing is a common joke about cultural differences and how folks will use them to form negative feelings over nothing. It was was also meant to be a kind of parody of the hypocrisy in 'correct' PC thinking (I hate racists, let's kill them all/I support free speech, let's silence those who think differently, etc.).

Regardless of all that, you have expressed your discomfort about the direction this has taken, and i have blundered on insensitively, so, my apologies. An afternoon in the boozer is no excuse for verbal roughshodedness.

But was the pub good ? :laugh1:🍺

2 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Malcolm

It's a fair perspective, but can I add another. Having worked professionally with both pro football players (at three Premiership clubs) and pro cyclists (world champion and Olympic level), when it comes to stress, burnout and mental health, the latter have it easy, trust me. Most of us can run around a field kicking, hitting or throwing a ball, but most of us can't ride a bike up an Alp, so we tend to make assumptions about the relative stresses of each on those bases. But burnout, albeit underpinned by biological processes, is largely psychological in origin. Very few pro cyclists will experience it in their careers, whilst many team sports players - soccer, hockey, cricket - will. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs at societal level, the media and business pressure on pro team sport athletes is a league above that on pro endurance athletes. So Southgate, rightly or wrongly in terms of how things should be, is correct in terms of how things are.

And yes, the cause of this is in many respects the hysteria you mention. But it's not just sport, it's music (burnout is common among successful and aspiring performers in all genres of music from rap to orchestral), and many other areas in which the media can build or shatter a person within seconds. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beedster said:

From Eric Clapton towards thorny issues around racism then via Bob Mould and Eric Cantona to the sad demise of Scottish Association Football. A glorious Basschat diversionary manoeuvre well executed :)

So... it's Rod Stewart's fault?

• Haha 1

On 18/08/2020 at 20:34, BrunoBass said:

She’s the woman who’s unproven allegations against Ryan Adams have pretty much ruined his career, but that’s another story... 

Bryan Adams?.....Surely Not?

.....“Sorry I’ll read that Again!”

Edited by MB1

2 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Last time I saw Rod perform was on tv with Tom Jones (long time ago)

both were sat down and croaking in unison (Rod got his glasses out

to read his lyrics...............)

😎

Roderick's greatest talent by far these days seems to be in the construction of 1:87 scale model buildings. 

• Like 1