Why become a member? ×

Eric Clapton’s music “mediocre”?

Baxlin

6 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

I know; I was there. ;)

Serious point; with due respect, the point you’re suggesting is not quite the point I was making. The key phrase in my previous post was’... of their era...’. 

I think you were probably comparing apples and oranges, if you'd compared Clapton to McCartney then fair enough

Edited by PaulWarning

9 hours ago, Beedster said:

Reason I posted this is that, to my mind, not only is Clapton’s vocal delivery bland as hell, but Robertson’s guitar playing sounds so much more alive (overdubs acknowledged). And this was 45 years ago

Must admit to preferring Claptons playing on this. Its a lot more relaxed and fluent IMHO of course. Just personal opinion.

For me this is the style of music where Clapton was in his element. This is how i always think of him.

Dave

8 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I think you were probably comparing apples and oranges, if you'd compared Clapton to McCartney then fair enough

Again (and this will be the last time I comment on this), I was comparing one musical icon (The Beatles), with another (Clapton). Speculating about what the Beatles might have achieved had they stayed together is IMHO utterly pointless since they didn't. The Beatles were of their era. Clapton was of his era - although he's hung around a lot longer stinking the place up (as some would contend).

I know what I was comparing thanks very much, but you of course are free to express your opinion on the matter as are we all.